Upgrade RAM? Or buy a Netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, I'm Cukiedome and I've been looking for a good, quick laptop for pure schooling.
I don't plan on playing games on it but I don't like hiccups or slow start-ups on anything, programs or bootup.

Right now, I have an old HP Pavilion N5415 with a dead charger.

Processor: AMD Duron 900MHz (100MHz FSB)
RAM: 256mb
HD: 10GB (5400 RPM)
Size: 14.1 Inches (Screen size)
Video Card: Integrated (8mb)
Battery Life: 1~2 Hours

I have the money to upgrade it to 512 RAM, and to get a working charger
This will be about $50 to $75

Or, I can buy an ASUS Eee PC 901 in about a week because I'm getting my paycheck of about $175 or $200, and I'll have enough to get it (I only work part time)

The ASUS Eee PC 901 Consists of:

Processor: Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz (800MHz Power Saving, 1600MHz Performance/Default, 1680-1800MHz Hyper Performance)
RAM: 1024mb
HD: 12GB (Solid State Drive)
Size: 8.9 Inches (Screen size)
Video Card: Intel GMA950 (Maximum Video Memory is 224mb [Or so I've read])
Battery Life: 6~8 Hours

Price will be around $300

I want to save money too but then I don't like having a slow laptop either.

I wouldn't recommend netbooks, if you use it for school, you'll be using it quite a bit, and you may not like the small screen, your resources are also limited. I would upgrade the RAM, get a new adapter, and use it (your current laptop) until you allocate funds to buy a new one. With a fresh Windows install (if possible) your laptaop will runsmoothly with more ram.

I wouldn't recommend netbooks, if you use it for school, you'll be using it quite a bit, and you may not like the small screen, your resources are also limited. I would upgrade the RAM, get a new adapter, and use it (your current laptop) until you allocate funds to buy a new one. With a fresh Windows install (if possible) your laptaop will runsmoothly with more ram.

Hm ... well, the small screen I'm fine about but what do you mean "Your resources are also limited." ?

If I was to buy a new laptop, what would you recommend?

Netbooks just don't have the power that regular laptops do.
If I were to get a new one $500-600 US could get you a firly decent system. In general, most systems which have Vista PREMIUM O/S are a decent machine. As for RAM, at least 3GB, 2GB minimum. That's just my preference, if I had to buy a netbook for $300, I would go the extra and just get anew system. I hope this helps, I'm just offering you my opinion.

Netbooks just don't have the power that regular laptops do.
If I were to get a new one $500-600 US could get you a firly decent system. In general, most systems which have Vista PREMIUM O/S are a decent machine. As for RAM, at least 3GB, 2GB minimum. That's just my preference, if I had to buy a netbook for $300, I would go the extra and just get anew system. I hope this helps, I'm just offering you my opinion.

School's coming up in about 6 weeks for me, and I don't really need "power" ... Hmm, what do you think of the HP G60t? I was looking at it before and it ranged around the $500-600. I'll only be able to get that a month or two in the school year, but I prefer having a laptop/netbook before school begins. I also don't really like the old laptop anymore :S Thank you for your opinions, every opinion helps.

I just checked it out on their website (url) and it seems to be a pretty good system. It even has an Intel processor (peronal preference). It lists for 480.. on the website and if you buy it over the phone, I'm pretty sure they'll 'sweeten the deal' a little. ;)

Well ... with the specifications I'm looking for (Bluetooth, Wireless-N), if I was going to get a laptop I want a decent video card with it. The laptop gives you an option of integrated or a 256mb nvidia graphics card, these are the specification that I'd get it for. With my specifications it makes $628, and once I get it I'm going to install Windows XP on it (Preferred)

It includes 256mb nVidia 9200M, Wireless-N and Bluetooth.

What do you think?

Personally, I would buy the netbook. The boost in battery life and portability over an old laptop would be totally worth it. I'd wager that its performance would put your clunker to shame as well.

Personally, I would buy the netbook. The boost in battery life and portability over an old laptop would be totally worth it. I'd wager that its performance would put your clunker to shame as well.

I was thinking of that too.. I don't need anything powerful, just enough to run Microsoft Words 2007, photoshop, and surf the net with ease. I don't like seeing hiccups, and I most of all don't like seeing freezes.

I'm not sure how well Photoshop would run, but it likely depends on what you'd be doing with it. The rest is more than feasible.

I'm not sure how well Photoshop would run, but it likely depends on what you'd be doing with it. The rest is more than feasible.

Very well, thank you. I don't use the up-to-date photoshop, I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0, which I can run fairly well on my old crappy laptop. I am not in need of a powerful system, as I have my computer already. I just want a companion to carry around with me wherever I go.

ooooh. 900mhz? now that is slow. Even slower than my aging toshiba 1.6ghz laptop that I just put 2 gigs of ram in. yeah - get a netbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back