Upgrade suggestions from GT 240

pznoy22

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to the forums and practically a newbie when it comes to computers so I'm hoping anyone out there could possibly help with some advice/suggestions.

Games I play -
World of Warcraft:Cataclysm, Heroes of Newerth, Starcraft 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, DC Universe Online, The Sims3
I know these are some games that require a pretty decent computer but I play most of these settings on the lowest possible as I sacrifice quality for performance but as I progress in some of these games, I experience some lag.

Budget -
Price Area I want to stay in $100-$500 but max price: $750
Willing to buy online or in stores, whichever would be best

Power Supply -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

Computer -
Gateway GT5018E http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/GTModels/5454/5454sp2.shtml

Motherboard -
Intel Corporation, D945GCZ, AAC99321-501, AZCZ53716553

Monitor -
It's an LG 23inch Flatron Monitor
http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2361V-PF.jsp
Resolutions I play on vary depending the game, as max as 1920x1080 to as low as 1152x864.

Graphic interface -
PCI-E x 16

Video Card Maker/Model -
Galaxy Geforce GT 240 1GB 128bit DDR3

Memory/CPU/CPU Speed -
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1634973

Power Supply Make/Model/Watt output/Amperage -
Mentioned Above

Additional Info (from SysInfo Utility) -
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3325 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 233985 MB, Free - 132813 MB; D: Total - 4478 MB, Free - 1519 MB;
Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D945GCZ, AAC99321-501, AZCZ53716553
Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

If you think that I am just in need of new motherboard, suggest that as well with other suggestions. It's an old computer and I'm glad it's still alive but its need of upgrades so I open to anything!!! If I miss any information that you need, please message me or post in this thread as I will do my best to reply and quickly fix. Lastly, I thank everyone who offers to help and for reading my thread. Thanks, again.

This would be a good build and play your games just fine and there is room to work with these parts.

CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Motherboard- ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X
RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card- HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Case- COOLER MASTER Storm Scout because you will need a better ventilated case.
PSU- OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W this will leave you room for upgrades but others may suggest other alternatives.

This is a good setup for a basic gaming computer IMO there could be variations like maybe a 6850 rather than the 6870 or maybe a different cpu but overall its a good build all for $730 now thats nice IMO

sorry mine was also with a heatsink added into the price so $30 cheaper if you subtract that.

sorry mine was also with a heatsink added into the price so $30 cheaper if you subtract that.

that is a nice system you put together and not easy to match with an intel system but i thought i give it a shot.

also, pznoy22 i am not sure if you were planning to build a new system but with that what you have you are kind of limited.
the only thing you could upgrade is the video card to any of the cards klepto12 and i pointed out but all of them will be limited by the pentiums ability.

the intel 945 chipset also only supports earlier core 2 duo cpu's if any because it also depends on the bios and vrm on the board.

either way, if you do build or upgrade the card you will need a better and better power supply

Case- COOLER MASTER Storm Scout because you will need a better ventilated case.
I notice that people are starting to automatically recommend the CM Storm "Scout", on the premise that it cools well. True, it does, but the original Antec 900 cools a fair bit better, (IMHO).

I say this without malice toward the 'Scout" it's a fine case, and has many things to recommend it.

I have one of each of the Scout, and the Antec 900, and I'm quite proud of both of them. They seem to leap frog in price, depending who's having a sale any given day. I paid $60.00 for my Scout, (Black Friday last), and $80.00 for the 900, (the year before), both were carry out sales from Microcenter.(Actually I had to make Best Buy meet MicroC's price, since they were out of the 900).

Just something to think about.

The Antec 300 that Codisha has recommended is a nice case also. It is much visually plainer than the 2 I mentioned, (also cheaper). It's price bounces up and down quite often, and I suggest signing up for Neweggs Price alert for anything you're interested in.

If you haven't already, you should register your Email address at Newegg, and let them bring the sale prices to you. Just click on the "price alert" button, and be a bit patient.

LCD Monitors are on sale weekly at Newegg, with promo codes for even greater discounts via Email.

captain i have the antec 900 and almost suggested it but thought the scout was a good alternative since it was slightly cheaper.

captain i have the antec 900 and almost suggested it but thought the scout was a good alternative since it was slightly cheaper.

The Scout is a beauty, no doubt. I like (love) the blacked out interior, and the handle. And don't forget the red LED theme. As I said, it has a great deal to recommend it.

The original Antec 900 is the least expensive of that line, and that's the one I have. I don't particularly care for the very coarse front grill of the Antec 900 2 model. And the "silver edition" is flat out ugly. (IMHO).

Every time sales sag in home electronics, some genius starts painting s*** silver, and expects everybody to go along like it's Paris fashion. (Well that and you can't see the dust as much).

All of that said, the Antec 300 is the promo football ATM. Last week I saw the "Illusion" model for 55 bucks +free shipping, at the egg.

As I said earlier, I you can afford to be a little patient, on any given day, the 900 or the Scout might be the same price, or cheaper than the other. Anyhoo, any one of these three cases would make a fine looking build, no doubt about that.

Update; The Storm Scout is $79.95 free shipping at Newegg until 2-9-11. This is with an additional $10.00 off Email promo code

First of all, thanks a lot for looking in and giving your advice and suggestions. To be honest, I wouldn't know where to begin...? I'm a pretty big newbie when it comes to these things and I think I've decided that I would like to think about the combo deal but is it easy to setup since I've never really built a computer... -__- Sorry to sound so dumb, I'm a bit embarassed....

Don't be embarrassed, feel positive, because its something new you can learn, and on these forums we hear from so many people that don't have a clue but press forward without advice and end up damaging something.

In my opinion the only time you should feel embarrassed is when you don't know what your doing, don't ask for help, then come running when you've screwed something up.

There are many guides online, but some of the best ones for those new to building are the books you can buy in-store. I particularly recommend the "Dummies guide to building a PC", simply because it shows you, but also explains each stage - you therefore learn why you're doing something, as opposed to doing it because "Bob or Jim" said so.

That said, once you do learn you'll wonder why you were so worried - to build a computer it takes common sense, patience, and a methodical approach. No real skills are involved, and anyone can do it.

Back