TechSpot

Upgrade Suggestions?? (Graphics Card/Misc)

By Leyasu
Jan 13, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. From what i could get from the guide and Cpu-Z, this is the information you guys need:

Motherboard -
    Manufac: ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Model: K8V-X SE

Graphics Card -
    Name: Nvidia GeForce 6200

Memory -
    Type: DDR
    Size: 1024 MB
    Channel #: Single

Cpu -
    Name: AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    Core Speed: 2203.0 Mhz

PSU (Planning to upgrade) -
    Manufac: Mercury
    +12V: 15A
    Watts: 300

Games i play are in example of Viva Pinata, Sims 2 (W/ all Expansions), Oblivion (W/ all Expansions), Civ 4 (W/ all Expansions). I am intrested in upcoming games Spore, Starcraft 2 and Assasains Creed. Also, for note, im using an old monitor, so im playing and using most things in 1024x768.

Im in England: I have roughly the money to make around a £50 purchase. If i save longer, which is harder, i could probally make it to around £80. Saving considerbly longer (around 2 months), id be able to make £100.

The reason i ask for advice is because im Poor - literally. Im below the poverty line. I make just enough to buy food, electric and pay rent. I dont even have heating, or a Tv.

Also while here, anybody have any upgrade suggestions for the future on things to make this run faster, and in general function so it can run a heavier workload?
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

This video card along with this PSU oughta help you out. Sorry, but you can't get a PSU and video card better than your current specs for under £50. These are the best I could find. As for future upgrades, you'd need a complete revamp since your motherboard's outdated and processors are very difficult to find for it, plus there are no dual-core CPUs for it either. so you'd basically need a new PC or to get a motherboard like the Asrock 4CoreDual or the Asrock 775DUAL which support all the LGA775 Intel processors, PCI-E and AGP cards and DDR and DDR2 RAM and move all your existing parts to it, while getting a new CPU like the new Intel Dual-Core E2140 since your current one won't fit in it. In any case, good luck and let us know how it goes. :)
  3. majorblenks

majorblenks TS Rookie Posts: 46

You got 2 options - you cant get a much better GC without the need for a better PSU that'll direct pump juice to the GC - you could get a budget 500W and ATi Radeon X1550 for £70 (cclonline/ebuyer) or a X1650 /PRO will cost upto £60 on its own. The downside to this would be your PSU - would it bring in the preformance youd need from a demanding GC?

Alternatively, you could buy a new PC - 775 socket and budget Core Duo chip (>1.6GHz) for £300 minus a GC - but a PCI-e X1650 can be purchased for an extra £30.
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.