Upgraded video card running worse than old

Status
Not open for further replies.

PimpPanther

i had a radeon x700 pro(laugh if you must)

and i recently upgraded to a radeon 2600 pro hd

now all of my games are running slower

i uninstalled all of my drivers for the x700 and installed all the new ones for the 2600
i cant seem to make my games run on directx 10, while the 2600 is supposed to be compatible
yes i downloaded and installed it, i just dont know how to make the games change to using 10

plus, the 2600 pro is running my games such as call of duty 4 and counter strike source much slower than before,
with call of duty, with the x700, it run good
with the 2600 even on very bad settings its uplayable with lag

im using catalyst control center, and i have it set to use the games setting

huh, no need for us to laugh at the X700 look at my specs, i run most my games full at 1600x1200. i am actually going to purchase a HD2600 tomorrow i hope we see what is wrong with this.

The only solution i can offer are the latest drivers from ATI site. as for the games running DX10 only DX10 games will run in DX10 and under Vista.

If you have Vista and the HD2600 and say a DX7 game it will run in DX7. Even with DX10 installed.

You can google for the Alky project if you want DX10 in XP, or at least game compatibilty.

well i think im gonna say screw it and return this card

i honestly dont recomend the 2600 pro hd to you

its sounds capabilities messed with my sound drivers, and was a pain in the *** to fix it

and i need vista to run DX10?
wow that sucks
i might have to upgrade to vista

now in the same price range what other card does someone suggest?

Even though the 2600 is DX10 capable its not powerful enough to give good frame rates in DX10 mode. Try running it in DX9.

anyway

im taking into micro center for a diagnostic
and im actually going to pay like 50 bucks to get it working right

while im here, doesn anyone know how to(while using catalyst) give one monitor graphics priority over the other?

There is no DX10 support in XP, ALL your games will be run at DX9 or lower, even if the game supports a higher DX.

I wouldn't of recommended the graphics card you got. You should of spent a little more money and got the HD3850. Benchmarks have shown up to 30-50% performance gains over the 8600GTS which is more powerful than your HD2600Pro at about $20 more (depending on where you live).

If your gonna stick to the low end (Or mid end whichever one you want to call it) stick to XP if your main intention is gaming. Don't bother upgrading to Vista as you will lose an average of 5fps in your games and your graphics cards will not be able to handle DX10 (Though I'm sure theres options to choose DX9 if needed like in BioShock and Crysis). If your gonna return, see if you can get an HD3850, and I would probably recommend Vista, gaming or not.

PimpPanther said:
im trying it now

(im not a fan of catalyst)
Best steps to take when installing a new graphics card:

1. Backup all your data. (music, pictures, videos, anything you want to keep)
2. Turn your computer off.
3. Install new graphics card.
4. Turn computer on.
5. Insert windows XP/Vista install disk.
6. Format-install windows. (before you even boot into windows)
7. Logon and install drivers for your new graphics card. (In Vista, this is done automatically which saves a whole lot of time and hassle).
8. Update your windows. (patches, fixes, usually done by automatic updates)
9. Place all your backup files back onto your computer.
10. Enjoy.

EDIT: These steps are usually what I take, you may want to do it a different way. But I find this way the most optimal.

PimpPanther said:
and how come i could run call of duty 4 with relatively no lag with my x700 but my 2600pro hd cant?
Are you playing CoD4 with custom selected IQ or default (Automatically selected) IQ. Because if your just playing the game with default IQ, than its quite possible that the game has selected a higher IQ because its detected your HD2600 to be a later more featured graphics card. And CoD4 is quite a demanding game so a higher IQ will utterly destroy the HD2600. Even the HD3870, 8800GT struggle to maintain good framrates at the highest IQ settings.

Uninstalling the driver and any software for the old card before shutting the pc down is a much much better idea than just installing over the top of existing drivers and software.

Did you try catalyst 7.7 and yes if you don't want catalyst i meant omegadrivers.net - there are a couple of other drivers that work with your card just google for them and make sure they have 100% support for AGP

and your question about giving monitor priority is really simple - its just a setting in the CCC under displays manager

catalyst 7.7 works better for me
though counter strike i acting weird for me

on a simple map i had very low fps
but on a more detailed much larger map i had average

i have no idea how to change the IQ for the game
i have all the settings practically bottomed out
and now with 7.7 its better, but still not at a playable level

how and what should i set the IQ to?

Have you went into the Catalyst Control Center and changing a few settings under 3D tab. should give you a preview also of how the changes will effect images.

idk if this would work but try adjusting your hardware accelleration

(right click on desktop>graphics properties>settings>advanced>troubleshoot[some are tabs])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back