Upgrading a dell dimension 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:

We have a dimension 2400 with a 2.2 Celeron in it and I would like to bump up the CPU to something a little quick. It only has 128 megs of ram in it, some I am also considering just putting a gig of ram in for a performance boost. The budget is tight, so it will be one or the other.

thanks,
shawn

your in luck..i have a dell dimension 2400 to
i just bought a geforce 5500 256mb graphic card..thats a good way to start

and im looking to buy some RAM..that kinda what you had on your mind for upgrades..
your dell has PCI slots right?...mines pretty garbage..

yeah, I am looking for Ram and maybe a CPU upgrade if its possible to do something with the 2.2 celeron (478 slot i think) maybe to a 2.8 and I want to drop in 512 megs of ram if not a gig. Its actually my wife's machine and she is always saying how slow it is. I myself have a athon 3.2 with 512 megs, a radeon 5200 and a WD 160 gig HD. Let me know what you got for this thing or know what I can do to speed it up. RAM is a must, CPU and Video are secondary.

thanks,
shawn

first to let you know..im 16, hopefully you can still trust my word a lil bit
i agree on graphics being secondary...im a gamer..and integrated graphics are hell
i bought the card and things surprisingly sped up a bit..

Dells though are very picky about the RAM that they can take..but im about 95% sure that this ram will work..(gimmie a sec and ill post you a link)
go ahead and snatch up 2 of em..if you wanna gig..its definetly the bargain but prolly not top notch...
or as another resort go to crucial.com and fill in the specs on your wifes comp and it will give you RAM choices..

one more thing...the book that came with your wifes comuter...
mine has the types of ram that are allowed in my computer..i prolly should have told you that earlier..

Yeah, I knew about the 400 fsb, thanks for the link to newegg, I am just going to buy her 1 stick for now. money is starting to get tight. That will give her 640 megs, which should prove a significant performance gain.

thats what im going with...
just order it all at once...(just something ive been told)

so dont feel bad if it doesnt work out...
cause imma be screwed too
im thinking we helped each other out on this one...
thanks

no..in the reviews some buyer said he bought it for a 2400
maybe im paranoid
but imma take that gamble
just buy them all at once...mixing and matching RAM doesnt give it max performance
(so ive heard)

what you have heard is a crock. Its called marketing at its finest to get you to by more than one. I have put differnt sticks from differnt manufactures in many a machine. Hell back in the day I have even mixed parity and non parity 4 meg sticks. Yes, thats right I said it. 4 MEGS and that was a lot of ram. Then the damn pentium 1's had to have every thing in pairs. More marketing BS. See, then windows comes along and brings everything to a screaching halt, creating the demand for faster cpu's, and more ram and so on. IT NEVER ENDS!

thanks for your help,
Shawn

haha..nice
no thanks for your help..im only 16 and poor im only ordering 1 stick of 512 now..
I can deal with whatever 512 + 256 is..
thanks for making me aware to marketing BS to
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back