Upgrading CPU - Little help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 400 FSB mobo. I want to upgrade my CPU from 1.7 to 2.4ghz.

My understanding is that if I get anthing greater than a 400, like a 533 FSB, the CPU will still only run at 400. So my guess is that is not worth it, and stick to a 400 FSB cpu? Is that right?

Also, do I need to get the heatsink and fan, too? Or will the old heatsink and fan do?

I have a old off the shelf dell. I have been told that I can not overclock because my bios is not sophisticated enough. Does that make sense? Thanks for any help.

Mike

Dell's have proprietary bios options .Take a look at what is availible in yours. Then you can figur out what system adjustments you can make.I really doubt it though.
Also sure you Mb is PT or is it PE ? At any rate there are 2.4 Ghz Processors for it @400 MHz

Thanks for the reply.

According the PC Wizard, its a PT. So your saying I should get a 400mhz CPU so it matches, because anything greater would be a waste or worse yet, not work?

Also, can I still use the old heatsink and fan, or do I need new ones? thanks

Mike

If you are buying a boxed Cpu with the 3 year warrantee , it has a heatsink/fan in it. If not .I would put in a new one .I suspect yours is about 3 years old,it just isn't worth it to try and save $25 odd .We are talking about the the heart of your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back