Upgrading Dell XPS 420

Upgrading graphics are dependent on card slot design, power requirement, and driver support.
  • If I remember correctly the XPS 420 has a PCIe x16 slot, so you should be fine with any of the current cards. A single PCIe x16 card slot has been a standard for all motherboards since the introduction of Core2.
  • Please check the power output of your power supply and make sure is it adequate for the card you have chosen. Power output is measured in total wattage.
  • Physical space within the case could limit the length of card chosen. The XPS 420 seems to be a larger case so only the longest of cards should be an issue.
  • Older operating systems may not have driver support for newer cards. Newer operating systems may not have driver support for older cards. Again I think this is a non-issue, if I remember correctly XPS 420 is either XP or Vista. Both operating systems are still currently supported by both nVidia and AMD.
I hope I didn't bore you, selecting a graphics card is pretty straight forward with only a few requirements. Since the card slot and driver support is basically a non-issue. The only other requirement that will rain on your parade is the power supply and physical space available. Your options for cards are huge, from what I can tell.

Back