Upgrading GFX Card

By Lajukes
Jun 26, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone :) Now I'm no expert but I'm fairly computer savvy, however when it comes to hardware spec's I'm clueless. A friend of a friend helped me pick my hardware, and I put together my current computer almost 4 years ago. It was a beast at first but after a month my gfx card kept crashing almost every game, 5 mins into playing. Did some research, turned out a lot of people were having issues with the same card. For whatever reason I never bothered to, or couldn't get a replacement. Well now I'm finally ready to do it and I was looking for some insight, based on my current spec's, what my best options would be..

I'm running:
    • Windows 7, 64bit
    This barebone kit:
    • Asus M4A89GTD PRO AMD 890GX CrossFire Motherboard
    • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz Processor Overclocked to 4.0GHz
    • 8GB DDR3 1600MHz System Memory (4 x 2048MB)
    • 750-Watt Power Supply
    • CoolIT ECO A.L.C Liquid Cooling System
    • WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5", SATA, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache

And the busted graphics card I'm using:
    • EVGA 01G-P3-1452-TR GeForce GTS 450 SuperClocked Video Card - 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11, Fermi +99MHz Overclock to 882MHz

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to play next-gen games at the highest settings or anything, just something decent to hold me over until I eventually build a fresh PC. I'm not looking to spend more than $200-$300. I've always gone with nVidia in the past, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks for your time! :)
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Looking over your current video card were you in need of running dual monitors? Have you checked out They are always having deals of video cards.