TechSpot

Upgrading my Dell Dimension 4550 graphics card?

By Hitoshi
Nov 3, 2007
  1. Hi, I am trying to figure out what graphics card to get for my computer. I'm pretty sure that my computer has AGP and PCI slots but I do not think that my computer has PCI-Express and this makes me sad because I was wanting to get a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT.

My computers specs are: support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1104548

I have 2 Gigs of Ram and a GeForce FX 5500 Graphics card right now.

I would like to know what kind of graphics cards I can get and if my computer really has a AGP and PCI slot for a new graphics card. And if I can get a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT.

I mostly play World of Warcraft and Battlefield 2, my budget is around 100 to 200 dollars

Another thing I would like to know is should I even upgrade my graphics cards since my computer is so old. It's at least 5 years old.
    Thanks

2. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 875

3. Hitoshi

Hitoshi TS Rookie Topic Starter

Do you think it is worth upgrading my computer with a new graphics card?

4. Op2

Op2 TS Rookie Posts: 99

If you're still using the 250W Power Supply, then I really think you should upgrade to a stronger one first.

About your last question, YES. Many cards are better than the FX5500 so you will see a big improvement.

5. Hitoshi

Hitoshi TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah I have never upgraded my Power Supply, I wouldn't know what to upgrade it to.

How do I check to see what temp my computer is running at? I got Everest Ultimate Edition the Trail Version.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.