TechSpot

Upgrading my PC

By Miguel G
Jan 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all, much is appreciated in reading my post..

Here is my issue... I recently bought a desktop from Best Buy ( Gateway SX 2110g-u308 ). I know for a fact that it has space to add extra memory as well as an extra PCI-e x16 slot for a new video card and PCI-e x1 for lan and such. I recently put extra memory and now my computer totals 8 gb. My processor is an AMD E-1 1200 1.40 Ghz. I am in the market for a new video card because the built in stock one doesn't allow me to play games like MW3 or UT3 and other similar first person shooters without lagging. I see a Video card at a decent price that has 2gb of dedicated memory on it... *now the Noob comes out* My question is, does my video card have to match my CPU speed? Or does it use its own memory. I was told many different things which is why I am confused to all hell.. Also, am I able to upgrade my CPU? I know I have to look for the socket type and all... I would appreciate teh guidance... Thanks to all who help!!!

- Noob -

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Video card uses it's own memory. Things to look at:
    - Will the power supply be enough?
    - Will the CPU bottleneck it? In your case, your CPU is extremely low-end, so basically anything will hae the CPU as bottleneck.

You can upgrade to a 1.7GHz CPU (with a slightly better GPU). Not worth it though.

To be perfectly honest, I'd try returning the PC. To play games like you want, you're gonna have to spend a bit more money (or ,you got ripped off).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.