TechSpot

Upgrading my processor

By Drtehrmo
Jul 12, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey guys, whaddup

Now im a pc hobbiest, everything i learned about computers i learned by my self.
    But thers something i dont know and i need to know ^_^

I have a AMD Athlon Proc. Thunderbird, Socket A, CMOS of 18...and its 900mhz, multiplier at 9.0, and heres what the question has to do with ^_^, FSB of 100mhz, bus speed at 200mhz. Now i want to upgrade it to a AMD Duron 1.8 Applebred 266MHz FSB 64KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor - OEM, notice the FSB is 266mhz, so can you guys help me tell if i can upgrade it. Im worried it wont work cuz of my motherboard, which is a compaqs( yeah i know it sucks) but i cant tell if i can upgrade it or not.

So to make it easier on you guys i got cpu-z and heres the info from cpu-z perpective. Its attached to the post,

Thanks in Advance :knock:
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

3. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 1,595

If you are lucky you can get an earlier revision of applebred that is softlocked and a pinmod, if you were willing to do it, would let you reach 1.8ghz. Of the 6 applebred machines I've owned, though, only 2 out of the 6 cpus I had were able to be pin modded. Coincidentally, they were the only 1.8ghz ones I had. I prefer pinmod over altering the CPU because it is a non-permanent, non-damaging (if done properly) mod.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.