Upgrading Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit?

By Zeox
Oct 3, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm currently running Windows XP Professional 32-bit. I have a preorder set for Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I understand that I will need to do a clean install, which isn't a problem. However, I have one problem. Since this is a student offer I am taking advantage of, Microsoft are limiting me to an upgrade edition of either 32-bit or 64-bit to download. Whilst I have read that the upgrade editions can be used to clean install so long as a prior version of Windows is detected, I am unsure as to whether it will work due to the preordered install being a 64-bit.

Will I be able to start this 64-bit install of Windows 7 Professional from within my 32-bit Windows XP Professional? If not, will I be able to create a USB boot key and install it from within the BIOS? I know this is possible with the full edition, but don't forget this is the upgrade edition I have ordered (and sadly the only version I can order), so will the upgrade edition be able to detect my Windows XP installation from within the BIOS? I have also ordered the Windows 7 Disk Kit alongside the digital download if that helps..?

Sorry for the confusing question. It would probably explain why I haven't been able to find an answer in my past 5 hours of researchinhg the subject on the internet :haha:

Thanks for any help guys :)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

The Windows 7 upgrade 64 bit will give you install options. Just boot from the install DVD and follow the prompts
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

I don't have any proof to back this up, but I'm in the same boat as you and I think you'll be able to install 7 64bit by booting off the disk you make from the dl. Install it initially without entering a key (should give you usable windows for 30 days), then launch the setup from within 7 and 'upgrade' your current installation and use your product key this time. (thats how it worked with Vista)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.