Upgrading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommalden

Hi all...I run a local non-profit and we were gifted some older computers (Pentium II's) and they are all running Windows 98. We want to upgrade them to Windows 2000 or XP. Where do I find that? What is the average cost? Do I only need one package I can install on all of them? What does it mean "OEM" ? I'm a bit lost in all this. Is it worth it to pay a local dealer $90 to install/ update each computer?

Thanks !!!

XP won't run well on a Pentium II. 2000 will be ok, I don't know the price. You'd need individual copies, unless you contact Microsoft about getting a corporate lisence. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. No its not worth paying someone $90 to install each copy unless that includes the OS.

Well, depending on what you are going to be using the computers for, you could consider one of the more user-friendly versions of Linux. Linux runs pretty well on old hardware.

Linux is the only Legal choice.
We have serviced Non-profits since 1986, and have appealed to Microsoft many times, but they seem to feel there is greater risk of theft and misuse from non-profits than any other users.
Try www.techsoup.org which is very very helpful, as well as as www.npsoft.org and www.ccbnonprofits.org. Also, you will find many with a Google search.
You are just as illegal using Windows, unless you have a separate product key ID for each.
There are very very few places that sell Windows 2000 as cheaply as the lowest prices for Windows XP... most are $132 or more where WXPH is $64 to $82. Windows 98SE is $52 legally... but works very well for everything with a Pentium II. We have found little reason to upgrade to W2K in a non-profit setting.

Wow...thanks for all the info. I guess I really don't need to update then, huh? I just thought it would be nicer to have a newer windows on them....Think I will just deal.....

If as you say you are an NPO then any money made could be used to get your desired OS cheaply. You can pick up a basic P4 with XP for about £200 ($400) and even chaeper if you buy a few wholesale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back