TechSpot

Upgrading...

By mommalden
Jan 5, 2007
  1. Hi all...I run a local non-profit and we were gifted some older computers (Pentium II's) and they are all running Windows 98. We want to upgrade them to Windows 2000 or XP. Where do I find that? What is the average cost? Do I only need one package I can install on all of them? What does it mean "OEM" ? I'm a bit lost in all this. Is it worth it to pay a local dealer $90 to install/ update each computer?

Thanks !!!

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

XP won't run well on a Pentium II. 2000 will be ok, I don't know the price. You'd need individual copies, unless you contact Microsoft about getting a corporate lisence. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. No its not worth paying someone $90 to install each copy unless that includes the OS.

3. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 638

Well, depending on what you are going to be using the computers for, you could consider one of the more user-friendly versions of Linux. Linux runs pretty well on old hardware.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Linux is the only Legal choice.
    We have serviced Non-profits since 1986, and have appealed to Microsoft many times, but they seem to feel there is greater risk of theft and misuse from non-profits than any other users.
    Try www.techsoup.org which is very very helpful, as well as as www.npsoft.org and www.ccbnonprofits.org. Also, you will find many with a Google search.
    You are just as illegal using Windows, unless you have a separate product key ID for each.
    There are very very few places that sell Windows 2000 as cheaply as the lowest prices for Windows XP... most are $132 or more where WXPH is $64 to $82. Windows 98SE is $52 legally... but works very well for everything with a Pentium II. We have found little reason to upgrade to W2K in a non-profit setting.

5. mommalden

mommalden TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

Wow...thanks for all the info. I guess I really don't need to update then, huh? I just thought it would be nicer to have a newer windows on them....Think I will just deal.....

6. Sjbrand99

Sjbrand99 Banned Posts: 267

If as you say you are an NPO then any money made could be used to get your desired OS cheaply. You can pick up a basic P4 with XP for about £200 ($400) and even chaeper if you buy a few wholesale.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.