USB cable modem driver Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where I can download a driver to use a usb cable as a modem. Heres the break down: I need to install wireless modem but I need two ethernet cables, I only have one and I'm broke. I do believe however that I can connect my laptop to my cable box modem "thingy" with a usb cable. The only problem is that evertime that I connect the USB cable to the cable modem box thingy the computer wizard installer tells me that I need to download a driver for the usb cable. Anyone know where I can find one. thanx

what I think you need is a USB network adapter. These are cheap! A network patch cable is even cheaper!
By connecting the router to the PC with a USB cable, the system is asking for a driver for the router, not the cable.
Installing wireless should need only 1 patch cable to connect the PC to the wireless router. Is there an easier way?

Your question isn't clear: if you have a cable connection, the cable company provides a cable modem. Maintenance is up to them.

You don't install a wireless 'modem'- you install a wireless 'router'- big difference. Router is between the internet and the cable modem.

There are no "thingys" in computers. Everything has a name. You need to understand the difference between a modem and a router, hard wire and wireless.

Are you trying to have two or more computers do File and Print Sharing? Then you will need the cable modem, a wireless router unless they the computers are right next to each other. Please read the following re "Ethernet/Cat 5" cable"

Category 5 cable, commonly known as Cat 5, is a twisted pair cable type designed for high signal integrity. Many such cables are unshielded but some are shielded. Category 5 has been superseded by the Category 5e specification. This type of cable is often used in structured cabling for computer networks such as Ethernet, and is also used to carry many other signals such as basic voice services, token ring, and ATM (at up to 155 Mbit/s, over short distances).

How about we go from here and you can be more specific?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back