TechSpot

USB devices slow but work

By Charlie75
Jan 24, 2005
  1. Ok I'm not 100% sure as to what causes this and 0% as to the solution. The problem is I have a USB modem and it has been really slow ever since the computer came back from the store to install windows xp. It also disconnects and reconnects in 3 or 4 minute intervals, in java applications. Also, copying files to and from my USB pen to my computer is incredibly slow. It takes like 3 minutes to copy 15 short .txt files. I've tried on other computers and there is no problem what so ever and it takes 3 seconds to copy the same files. I am guessing it could be my usb ports since both devices use them? Am I wrong? How would I solve this? I have searched for my motherboard's drivers but I know nothing about this and am a little confused as to the exact drivers I should be getting. Using one of those programs to get computer info I got the following on my motherboard:
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S8X-X REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4S8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1002
    Which drivers exactly should I try to update? On the ASUS download website for my motherboard (I tried posting the url but the forum doesn't seem to let me) I see they have a P4S8X-X BIOS V1004 download. Should I get that since mine says it's 1002?
    Thank you! :wave:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.