USB-IF sides with Apple in Pre/iTunes syncing debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Leading up to the Palm Pre's launch, news broke that the iPhone competitor was able to dupe iTunes into thinking it was an Apple device. To accomplish this, Palm used a vendor ID that had been issued to Apple by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF). In effect, the Pre was able to sync things like DRM-free music and photos. As most expected, Apple's reaction was less than friendly.

In July, Apple pushed out an iTunes update (v8.2.1) that effectively crippled the Pre's compatibility. A week later, Palm issued a software update that restored the ability to sync. Apple locked the Pre out again with the release of iTunes 9 earlier this month. Palm responded by complaining to the USB-IF, who has now sided with Apple.

In its complaint to the USB-IF, Palm said noted the latest update of webOS would once again repair iTunes compatibility. Backing Apple, the USB-IF warned Palm that any further attempts to use Cupertino's vender ID would be a violation of its rules. The organization informed Palm that it may only use its own issued vendor IDs, and has requested that handset-maker clarify its intentions within seven days.

Permalink to story.

Well as much as I don't like Apple, I think its pretty clear Palm was doing something they were not supposed to. Using someone else Vendor ID sounds very illegal to me.

It really is a bit anti-competitive; I don't see any harm in Apple allowing it, however, they have the right to block it because it's their software.

Yeah, what the heck, Palm? I don't like all the proprietary stuff regarding iTunes, but it's fully within Apple's rights to use it. A work-around is something I would expect from the internet community, but not from an actual corporation, much less one the size of Palm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back