USB Keyboard Stopped Working

JohnnyAZ

Windows 10 HP desktop keyboard just stopped working on Friday. When I plug the keyboard into the USB port (tried all ports, front and back), PC bings, says keyboard is installed, shows under device manager but no typing, no Number or Cap Lock lights. Keyboard doesn't light up on reboot or re installation. Same results with 2 other keyboards. Mouse is wireless and works fine.

The pc and keyboard are HP. Unknown model #. All other USB devices (2 printers, wireless mouse) working fine in all ports.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was at that HP page yesterday and nothing they recommended helps. The weird thing is the PC recognizes the USB keyboards when plugged in but they don't seem to be getting power. None of them in any of the ports. Yet other devices work fine in those ports.

As I stated in my original post the problem is happening with 2 other USB keyboards. There is no PS/2 port on this pc. Now the same thing is happening with the USB wireless mouse. I've unplugged the printer and re-plugged it into every USB port and it works. When I plug the keyboard or mouse the PC states it is installing the drivers, then the drivers are installed but nothing. No lights or movement. Yesterday was the first time I knew about the onscreen keyboard so no it couldn't have been started.

Try plugging a hard drive or other high power device in the PORTs are see if they work
(Wired OPTICAL mouse with LED, RGB Keyboards, etc)
I've had power problems with 2 computers before and usually you can fix it by using PS2 controls OR using a POWERED USB HUB
Is you PC a cheap one? like BELOW i7 (4C8T) with a B series motherboard or a CHEAP motherboard?
How old is it? If its more than 1 or 2 years old it could be that the power isn't being delivered to you devices properly.
To rule you USB power problems GET A POWERED USB HUB and plug everything into in and THEN plug the hub into the PC. It may take a while for everything to do stuff because 2 power sources but it should work in the end.
IF NOT then take it in BUT they'll probably say it's drivers and if that doesn't fix it get a BETTER computer

You can still check Device Manager with the VIEW tab set to 'show hidden'. This would help you discover if you have multiple 'not currently attached' devices defined for each of your ports and which need to be weeded out.

"Yesterday was the first time I knew about the onscreen keyboard so no it couldn't have been started." ==> and, of course, no one has access to your computer so there couldn't be a prank. Same goes for malware, right?

Last night, I was wiping a pile of old HDDs prior to donating them. Seemed as though there were a lot of them which had failed while on the shelf...then I realized the SATA connection had worked loose at the motherboard. Funny about how simple problems can make things look broken.

I held the Power Button for 5 seconds until the computer completely shut off.
I turned the computer back on and as soon as rotating loading circle appeared I held the Power Button until the computer shut off.
I did this 2 more times until the Preparing Automatic Repair screen appeared.
When the computer booted to the Automatic Repair screen, I clicked Advanced Options, and then Troubleshoot. From there I chose Repair Startup Files and when the pc rebooted everything worked great.

I could swear it said Repair Startup Files but I could be wrong. I'd have to go back to my mothers and attempt to do it again to verify it since it was her pc that was screwed up..

I could swear it said Repair Startup Files but I could be wrong. I'd have to go back to my mothers and attempt to do it again to verify it since it was her pc that was screwed up..
Hi N/P Thanks for your reply. The on-off 3 times on W10 takes you into the Advanced Startup mode. There are several options there to try to recover your PC. I wanted to post that for others reading your thread. The good thing is that you were able to solve your problem.

Back