USB mass storage issue resulting from unnormal shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sernomicus

Heya, I've got some issues with my usb devices. I bought my comp 2 years ago with a cordless keyboard, which was few weeks later the first usb device to go unrecognized.

The problem seems to result from computer shutting down due to a reason other than manually doing it. Pressing the power button if the comp freezes seems not to cause this, but such from overheating, or power blackout cause my computer to loose recognition on seemingly random usb device. I have 5 usb devices connected, and yesterday I received the fatal blow. My cable modem is connected through an usb wire, (because ethernet just doesn't seem to do its job). The computer shut down unnormally, resulting in the cable modem being reported as "unknown" under USB mass storage. Thusly I cant use my internet at home.

The problem though, seems to be sometimes fixed by moving the device to another port, which I did with my cordless keyboard. During some months, I went through all ports with the keyboard, and today, all ports report the device unknown. I would really like to fix this problem once and for all.

As short side story: I once tried to fix it without any knowledge of what I was doing, and I shut off one of the USB mass storage thingies that appear when windows reports the device not being recognized. It resulted in complete loss of control over my usb devices, meaning mouse and keyboard as well. Goddamn I had hard time fixing it. Continuing to work without any knowledge, I stumbled upon bios, where the devices worked, and managed to >>>>>>turn OFF usb controls<<<<<<<<< and somehow all controls were restored, although the initial problem remained.

Any thoughts?

I fixed the modem, somehow I had some driver for network stuff disabled and it formed connection through the ethernet cable when I enabled it. USB problem remains though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back