USB port in modem extra uses?

By DevilDevansh
Jan 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My last modem dlink wifi modems chipset was damaged due to high voltage...I've bought a new one called dlink DSL 2750u1 which is supposedly the best company offers... Now it's got 4 Ethernet ports , wifi and other usual suspects. But what intrigutes me is the USB 3.0 port, which I know is for connecting with comps without Ethernet cards , but it's also mentioned on the box that it offers to store and access data in hard drives and flash drives over network, connecting
    Printers and converting net dongles into wifi.
    As of now I really wanna know how to acces data in connected HDDs and pen drives.
    Thank you in advance...:D*nerd*:p
  2. Narain

Narain Newcomer, in training

I think if you set it up right, you can stream the content on you USB or portable harddrive from the USB3 port that you on the modem through wifi
  3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,386   +608

4. DevilDevansh

DevilDevansh TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 53

Yes thanks guys I looked around a bit in the settings and apparently its works on samba protocol which supports cross-platform data sharing. I havent really got it to work as don't know the first thing about this 'samba' so if any one knows how to get it functional, it will be great. Cheers. :D
  5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,386   +608

Windows Explorer:
    \\blahblah\folder1\folder2

MAC Finder:
    Connect to Server:
    smb://blahblah/folder1/folder2

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.