USB ports stopped working

1. I have a problem with my desktop PC. The USB ports are not working so I can't use my keyboard or mouse.

I'm not sure if it has any connection with this, but today I tried installing a SSD to my system with no luck. While doing that, I set the BIOS to AHCI as I read that would be the most optimal. Well, I kept getting errors trying to install Win7 to the SSD so I decided to save it for a later time. Then I turned off my PC, unplugged the SSD and plugged my HDD back in. On boot up, I entered BIOS and set settings to default. After this my USB ports stopped working..

I have tried turning off my system, unplugging the powercord and the CMOS battery for at least 15 minutes with no luck. I have also tried plugging my keyboard into every single USB port my PC has. I can't even enter BIOS or press F8 to enter safe mode now. Any suggestions? I'm using WinXP and my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3.
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

Borrow or purchase a ps2 kb. Enter BIOS and enable USB KB/Mouse. I'm not sure it is called exactly that, but it is something similar that you will be able to find. I too have a Gigabyte motherboard (older than yours even) and have had problems with it liking USB kb inputs until I explicitly set that in the BIOS. What is weird is sometimes USB will work if that isn't set, or sometimes it will half-*** work, as in I could get into the BIOS or force the boot selection menu, but then the kb wouldn't work.

So bottom line is, I know what you are describing, but I don't know of a good fix, outside of just acquiring a ps2 kb which will get you out of this situation 100% of the time.
    FrederikNeertof likes this.
  3. FrederikNeertof

FrederikNeertof Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 58

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I might have a ps/2 keyboard laying around, so I will definitely give that a try today and post back the result.
  4. FrederikNeertof

FrederikNeertof Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 58

So I tried connecting a ps/2 keyboard, managed to enter BIOS and turned USB controllers on - now my USB ports are working again. Problem solved.

Thanks again, SNGX1275.
    SNGX1275 likes this.
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

Awesome. Glad to hear my post helped.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.