USB problem

Hello,

I am having a USB Drive problem. Basically, here's the story.

I was installing Ubuntu on my laptop, and the USB Drive was plugged into my laptop at the time. I was able to open it fine on Ubuntu after it was done installing.

Well, I got tired of Ubuntu and installed Windows XP back. Well, yes it was still plugged in. Once the installation was done, I tried launching my USB Drive. It said "Can not read file on Removable Disk (F): You may have to reformat it or try again". Well, when I went to reformat it, it said "Windows could not reformat Removable Disk (F): correctly, please try again".

I went to right clicked Removable Disk (F): -> Properties -> Tools -> Run Error Checker -> and that did was close the properties box.

Then, I went and got a few programs to try and recover my data and it showed some errors but they were just random errors. One of them mention something about the filesystem being "RAW" which I don't know what that means.

Anyways, can someone help me fix this? It is a Sandisk Cruzer 4gb Flash Drive.

Thanks,
Tyler

One of them mention something about the filesystem being "RAW" which I don't know what that means.

Anyways, can someone help me fix this? It is a Sandisk Cruzer 4gb Flash Drive.
The Sandisk is known for this :( - - RAW means there is no partition on the device.
Create a partition and format it FAT32 is normal so that it can be used on ANY OS system.
If you only use Windows/x, then you can format it NTFS like this:
login as admin (or use run->runas /user:administrator cmd)
attach the drive and MAKE SURE you know the drive letter assigned
format X: /FS:NTFS
where X is the drive letter to be reformatted.

Back