TechSpot

USB problem

By SwagOfficial
Mar 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

I am having a USB Drive problem. Basically, here's the story.

I was installing Ubuntu on my laptop, and the USB Drive was plugged into my laptop at the time. I was able to open it fine on Ubuntu after it was done installing.

Well, I got tired of Ubuntu and installed Windows XP back. Well, yes it was still plugged in. Once the installation was done, I tried launching my USB Drive. It said "Can not read file on Removable Disk (F): You may have to reformat it or try again". Well, when I went to reformat it, it said "Windows could not reformat Removable Disk (F): correctly, please try again".

I went to right clicked Removable Disk (F): -> Properties -> Tools -> Run Error Checker -> and that did was close the properties box.

Then, I went and got a few programs to try and recover my data and it showed some errors but they were just random errors. One of them mention something about the filesystem being "RAW" which I don't know what that means.

Anyways, can someone help me fix this? It is a Sandisk Cruzer 4gb Flash Drive.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

The Sandisk is known for this :( - - RAW means there is no partition on the device.
    Create a partition and format it FAT32 is normal so that it can be used on ANY OS system.
    If you only use Windows/x, then you can format it NTFS like this:
    login as admin (or use run->runas /user:administrator cmd)
    attach the drive and MAKE SURE you know the drive letter assigned
    format X: /FS:NTFS
    where X is the drive letter to be reformatted.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.