USB to USB 2.0 Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

slafa23

I put a USB 2.) in my computer howver I don't have the driver it came with. I need a driver to enhance my controller to a USB 2.0. Where can I get that?

Not do-able. You need a driver to make flash memory work in Windows 98 and ME.
But drivers do not upgrade the USB controller. The USB 1.1 remains 1.1, and cannot be made to operate faster, or with faster devices. The USB 2.0 can work with either 1.1 or 2.0 without a driver.

However, If you put a USB PCI card in your computer, you will need the driver from the manufacturer of that card, in some cases. The drivers are readily available for download from the manufacturer... but each pci card works only with the drivers from that manufacturer. There are no universal drivers for USB plug-in cards that I know of.

If you do not know the manufacturer of your card, you can enter the part number off the cad, or the chip numbers of the largest chip into a gurgle search... or you can look at the name of the chip manufacturer and go there.

If your USB PCI card is now working at 1.1, it is very likely that it will not upgrade to a USB 2.0 with the use of any driver.

I guess it is a PCI card. It is something I took off the side of the CPU and put it in a slot. I'm not sure of the terminology, sorry. I had used it on a previous PC, and now I am moving to my new PC. It worked on my old one. I'm trying to do the same thing. So it is do-able. I just need the drive to have the computer make it 2.0 I guess. It is working as a USB 1 or 1.1 right now but it should work as a USB2.0 with a driver.
Thanks.

In all cases I have seen, it is a hardware issue. I do not know of a case where you can change the USB speed from 1.1 to 2.0 with a driver. There is a difference in the hardware that makes that happen.

Try doing a manual windows update, that may help to get your card running at usb2.

If that doesnt help, pull the card out and google all the information on it that you can find. Chances are you WILL find a driver that will give you usb2 capabilities.

Where does it say W98 ?

What OS is it ?
Did you install the device in the proper order ?
1.Install device and boot to Windows.
2.Plug cable into an active usb port.
Does the device work ? If not,
But this is the correct reply to your post.
** Check your motherboard cd or website support downloads.

need more info really:

1: new computer? As in how new? brand New? (all new computers have 2.0 on all ports
2: The pci card you pulled from the old computer was 2.0 before?

3: check device manager goto: control panel: system: hardware: device manager: is there any devices missing drivers? yellow question marks?

If your hardware is USB 1.1, or manufacturered before April 2000, you cannot upgrade it to USB 2.0 with drivers. Period. Drivers will not upgrade USB 1.1 hardware to USB 2.0.

However, some (few) manufacturered products were issued capable of USB 2.0, but awaiting the Windows XP Service Pack. Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98 and WMe required drivers during that period. If the device or the computer was designed and released after April, 2000, it is possible (depending on the manufacturer and components) to use Windows Drivers to correct the speed issue
How to determine whether you do not have to upgrade
You do not have to upgrade the USB 2.0 support if any one of the following conditions is true:
• You purchase a new USB 2.0-capable system that came with Windows XP Service Pack 1 pre-installed. Your original equipment manufacturer makes sure that the system has the latest USB 2.0 driver stack.
• You already have Windows XP Service Pack 1 installed on the computer. You add a new USB 2.0 compatible PCI add-in card. In this situation, the latest Windows XP Service Pack 1 drivers for USB 2.0 are auto-selected during driver installation.
• You purchase and install Windows XP with Service Pack 1 included on the CD-ROM.
• You purchase and install the Windows XP Service Pack 2 disc, or download the free Service Pack 2 download.
• You purchase a system from a manufacturer that slipstreams and pre-installs Windows XP Service Pack 1. The manufacturer makes sure that the appropriate USB 2.0 drivers are identified and are installed on the system during GUI-mode install.

How to upgrade to the USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller driver in Windows XP Service Pack 1
If your computer hardware supports USB 2.0 by installed hardware, and you have a pre-installed USB 2.0 driver from the manufacturer, you can continue to use the earlier pre-installed drivers for USB 2.0. You can do this even after you install Windows XP Service Pack 1.

To upgrade to the USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller driver in Windows XP Service Pack 1, follow these steps:
1. Make sure that Windows XP Service Pack 1 is installed. Make sure that you have restarted your computer if you receive a message to do this.

See Microsoft on USB 2.0 issues:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx)
2. Open Device Manager. Locate Devices by Type.

To open Device Manager, either run Devmgmt.msc at a command prompt, or follow these steps:
a. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
b. Expand System Tools, click Device Manager, and then click Devices by type on the View menu.
3. Right-click USB 2.0 EHCI Host controller, and then click Update Driver.

You can find the USB Host controller entry in either of the following locations:
• Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
• Other Devices

Note In the Other Devices location, the USB Host controller entry is labeled Universal Serial Bus controller with a yellow exclamation mark.
4. Click Install the software automatically (Recommended), and then click Next.
5. Click Finish when installation is finished.

Note You may receive a message to restart your computer to finish the installation.

How to confirm driver versions
Make sure that you have the latest USB 2.0 drivers that are available in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (or Service Pack 2). You can do this by verifying your driver version in the following:

Date Version File name
29-Aug-2002 5.1.2600.1106 or later versions Usbport.sys
29-Aug-2002 5.1.2600.1106 or later versions Usbhub.sys
29-Aug-2002 5.1.2600.1106 or later versions Hccoin.dll
29-Aug-2002 5.1.2600.1106 or later versions Usbehci.sys

When you install the USB 2.0 drivers from Windows XP Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2, this overwrites any third-party vendor provided USB 2.0 driver stacks for your PCI add-in cards. We recommend that you remove these driver stacks before you install the Windows XP Service Pack 1 USB 2.0 drivers.

USB 2.0 is a specification revision of the original USB 1.1 specification. USB 2.0 was approved April 2000. The corresponding EHCI specification was finished March 2002.

Windows XP did not include support for USB 2.0 technology for the following reasons:
• There were no production quality EHCI 1.0 compatible host controllers.
• There were not enough production-quality USB 2.0 devices for testing.
The Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 installers were designed to update all drivers and all files that are included with Windows XP. Because USB 2.0 drivers were not included with some Windows XP installs. You must follow these steps to obtain the latest drivers after you install Windows XP Service Pack 1 or 1a.

But if your computer was built before April 2000, or your USB card was built before April 2000, or if either was built as late as October 2001 in come cases, you cannot update it with drivers. It all depends on your manufacturer, and the operating system you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back