Used space/free space on HDD erroneous readings

By prh1217
Oct 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Running vista home premium 64-bit with 600GB HDD. When I open "Computer" it shows graphically and numerically the used and free space on my drives. C - normally shows 310 GB free of 585 GB, D - Factory image - 1.47 GB free of 11.1 GB, K - HP Pocket media drive 237 GB free of 465 GB. The problem I am having applies only to C, with the others remaining unchanged. The graphical representation of free/used space is in blue and white normally. Here is the problem. The last couple of weeks when I open"Computer", I sometimes get C - 50.6 GB free of 585 GB and the graphical representation is in red, not blue. I got an error message the other day that I did not have free space to do what I wanted to do. When I checked free space it was showing, in red, free space of 50 GB instead of the normal 300 plus GB. As soon as I reboot the free space is shown as the correct amount - 300 plus GB. Anyone know what is going on and how I correct it?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,042   +224

I would cleanup like this

on your normal login
    • get a cmd prompt and enter cleanmgr

do it again using an admin login

Then verify the free vs total space

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.