User account issue.

By Tiken
Jun 2, 2007
  1. The company I work for has a laptop which we all use on our shifts to watch dvd's, check mail etc pass the time.

a person i work with noticed the administrator account had been deleted and a new account " guest " had replaced it.

All the favourites, boss' files, music, pictures etc had all been deleted.

I tried to go to system restore but *alas* you need to be an administrator!

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this may of happened.
    and any solutions as to a fix?

Is there a chance the administrator account is still there but you cant view it under the guest account?

Any help is really appreciated! :)

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Well if it is a company computer, then I'm not sure how much help we can be. If it is regulated by your Technology department, then they probably did it for a reason. You might try asking them what was changed.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
    A message for all newcomers.
    SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

there's a hidden Admin account, but it's accessible only thru the boot Safe Mode.

whoever deleted the admin account had authority to do so (unless everyone shares that login/password; BAD IDEA!) and only they
    will be able to use Safe Mode to get access to the data.

the files *may* still be present if the person deleting the account knew what
    they were doing. it is also possible that the data was deleted :(

NEVER SHARE AN ADMIN ACCOUNT, but hope this is now obvious.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.