User accounts?

megabomination

Hi . Probably sounds stupid, but im wondering how to set up certain programmes so they will work in my guest acc for other users of my pc. Im mainly trying to get my broadband connection to work ?

should not be necessary as the network connection is activated at boot time.

Specifically what is the problem you are seeing?

It sounds like you're trying to block/allow certain programs from certain user accounts. Your question is too vague. Details man! More details :p

Yes sorry , could have expanded details a little more.
I set up a user acc for my brother to use and i have noticed some desktop shortcuts are missing for programs that i have installed but thats fine as IE and other windows programs are all still usable. And some others such as 'my printer'
When you try to connect to net using 'virginbroadband' program it opens and lets you click the 'connect button' but immediately says 'connection terminated'? If im logged on it works fine!

Other users can create and delete shortcut's on their desktops as much as they want but this won't delete the program. You can always go into "My Programs", right click any program you like, then select "send to desktop (create shortcut)" to make the icon pop up. Similarly, deleting desktop icons will not delete the programs 99% of the time.

Does the Virgin Broadband program have a username and password that is required to connect to the internet?

No i dont have to enter username or password to use internet connection?
The other programme that bothers me is avira. It starts when guest acc is opened but the little umbrella doesnt open and the real time protection status that is supposed to read 'active' says 'status unknown'?
Basically i want the guest users to be able to use the internet, outlook for emails and use the printer. The virgin broadband wont connect and i dont want them using the net anyway without real time virus protection!

Sorry also the shortcut icons for both virginbroadband and avira are present in the guest acc desktop . Its as if they arent set up for all users? I tried reinstalling virginbroadband to see if there was an option to allow all users to use it but there wasnt. Would installing in in a diiferent folder/path help?

Is your internet connection coming from a wireless 3G device? Does the virginbroadband software have to be running in order for your computer to connect to the internet?

As long as you have the Anti Virus software installed on your system, it doesn't matter where it's program files are located. I think the status unknown message that you are getting from Avira is because it can't get an internet connection to check for updates. You should be able to find options in the settings portion of Avira to set when the program checks for updates and runs scans.

As long as you haven't changed which programs start up automatically during bootup, Avira should be running in the background whenever any user is logged on. You can go into startup configuration and make sure by following these instructions:

1. While holding the windows button left of the space bar, press the "r" button.
2. You should get the windows run box. Type "msconfig" in the run dialogue and press enter.
3. Click the "startup" tab in the system configuration window and you will see a list of programs.
4. Locate your Avira software and ensure the check box is checked. If your virginbroadband software is required to log onto the internet, make sure its check box is checked as well.

On the right side of your taskbar near the clock are icons for programs that are running even if their window isn't open. The umbrella for Avira for instance is one of them. Many programs do not need to be running all the time and waste system resources. If you uncheck a programs check box in the system configuration window, that program will not start at startup though you can still open the program from "my programs" at any time. Unchecking some of the non-critical programs from the system configuration utility will cause them not to start automatically at bootup and make your computer faster as well.

It may be a long shot, but there has been a recent MS patch KB956572 (q.v.) which unfortunately screwed up wireless functionality to the point that certain vendors had to re-issue their drivers for wireless networking. This might be (or contribute to) your problem. So update your wireless connection software to the latest version. Recommend you do not allow the singing/dancing bits of the software to install - just the driver.

Yes its a wireless modem. And yes software must be running for it to work.
I never get the status unkown message when disconnected to net in administrator account.
Yes avira is running in background and all options in msconfig services & startup are ticked.
Its as if users arent allowed to connect to net !?
gbhall . I have that patch. Would it play with the connection for any user or just guests?

KB956572 is concerned with security http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572 and number of process cores. Read the known issues if you need something to put you to sleep.....

A quote from it might answer your question

FAQ for independent software vendors (ISV) (COM)
Question 1: How do I determine whether my product is vulnerable to this issue?

Answer 1: Ask the following questions:
Does your product have to start a non-NT service COM server process?
By default, does the COM server that your product instantiates run in the context of Network Service or Local Service Account?
If the answer to each of these questions is yes, your COM server may potentially be vulnerable. To continue with the investigation to identify if your COM server is vulnerable, follow these steps:

From which gobbledegook I conclude 'if your wireless network operates as a Local Service Account, it needs debugging (by the network driver -writer that is). Local service presumably meaning a User, so the answer would be yes, it affects things on a per-user basis.

Somewhere amongst the huge amount of this MS09-012 it says if you are running Vista SP2 you have this patch installed (as you do). I can't find where I learned that network problems come from that patch, but I know that others with all manner of weird wireless network problems have solved them by updating the wireless network driver.

I would check in the task manager while logged into each account and see if the same network related processes are running in each. You can find the task manager by holding control+shift and pressing escape. Select the processes tab and note the names of different processes in each. In the description column you can read a short description of each process. Be sure to run the task manager from your administrator account first with the internet working. Select the box to show processes from all users if your version of windows has that option. Read the description of all processes and write down each that mentions something about network or networking hardware. Then log in with your guest account which the internet is not working and compare the processes. Are there any processes that are running on your admin account that aren't running on the account which internet isn't working?

I'm on XP so I don't have this problem but a Bluetooth solution would seem to relate.

Find the service needed (in my case Bluetool Support Service)
  • get the properties (services.msc->service name)
  • click the Lon On tab
  • (*) logon using this account
enter the name of an account with admin privs and its logon password
click ok

Now anyone loging on will have this service already started at boot time.

Back