User-activated bug in Windows File Explorer unintentionally boosts performance

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: In a discovery that brings to mind the famous old maxim of something not being a bug, but a feature, what appears to be a bug has been discovered in Windows File Explorer that actually improves the program's performance when it's activated.

Windows File Explorer doesn't offer the smoothest of experiences. It can be slow, laggy, and clunky, with some people complaining that the problems are even worse in Windows 11 compared to Windows 10.

But X, formerly Twitter, user @VivyVCCS has discovered an apparent bug in File Explorer that gives it a snappy speed boost. All you have to do is enter full-screen mode by pressing F11, then exit the mode by pressing F11 again.

Once activated, the bug will boost File Explorer's performance. You should notice the contents of folders loading instantly when moving between them, as do file thumbnail previews. The improvements are present on all drives, no matter how slow the devices might be.

Activating the bug does come with a price: it breaks the navbar, though this is arguably worth it for the extra performance that it brings.

For those who can't be bothered to hit the F11 key twice every time they open File Explorer (or just keep forgetting), developer Schalk Burger has created an automated hotkey script on Github that automatically activates the bug whenever the program is opened.

One Redditor wrote: "I tested it on a music folder with 1800+ subfolders, and 25,000+ files: Everything opens instantly, awesome. This is the performance that we had in the Explorer of Windows 7."

Neowin writes that the trick works on all versions of Windows 11, including Canary Builds and early releases. It's unclear if the bug is also present in Windows 10, but at least one commentator using Microsoft's older operating system said they didn't notice any speed improvement in File Explorer after pressing F11 twice.

As this is essentially a bug that borks File Explorer's navbar, expect to see Microsoft include a patch that addresses it in a future Windows update. Hopefully, this will also improve the program's performance - but don't hold your breath on that one.

Permalink to story.

I got a drastic increase in responsiveness once I unchecked the "show recently used files" and "show frequently used folders" options. (Some of these items were probably on network drives, but that's no excuse as the initial contents could have been cached and even if they weren't nothing else should have been held up waiting for them.)

Also do not pin any WSL folders on quick access as if your WSL VM isn't loaded, Explorer will block as it waits for the VM to spin up.

Explorer is coded horribly for an 11th generation core feature of the O/S. The idea the whole window will block because a single option is still processing is super lazy.

I got a drastic increase in responsiveness once I unchecked the "show recently used files" and "show frequently used folders" options. (Some of these items were probably on network drives, but that's no excuse as the initial contents could have been cached and even if they weren't nothing else should have been held up waiting for them.)

Also do not pin any WSL folders on quick access as if your WSL VM isn't loaded, Explorer will block as it waits for the VM to spin up.

Explorer is coded horribly for an 11th generation core feature of the O/S. The idea the whole window will block because a single option is still processing is super lazy.
Was your "trick" without the F11 toggle?

Oddly enough this does not seem to affect me. Explorer is snappy as is and doing the F11 trick does not make it faster.

The same way I was not effected by the SSD slowdown bug.

Back