Using 1 or 2 Routers. Can you tell me which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to network 2 wired desktops with a wireless laptop.
My desktops are wired with a Linksys BEFSR41 router 4 port switch.
My Wireless router is a Belkin F5D7230-4 4 port switch.

I was considering using both routers.... but now I am not sure because my Belkin manual says that if I use the Belkin's "Access Point Mode" to hook up to another router, that it will defeat the NAT IP sharing feature. What exactly does that mean? Would it mean that I can't share internet, files, printers, or what?

I would like to share internet AND files between all 3 computers.
Is it "better" using 1 router or 2 routers as far as ease of setup, speed, etc.

Anything you can tell me about advantages & disadvantages is appreciated. :confused:

means the one router will be used as gateway or switch only
will not be able to share internet address
the nat is disabled becomes a switch
the linksys will handle nat
this is how you share 1 wan ip with multiple machines

will not be able to share internet address

Hmmmm? would that mean that I would not be able to log on to the internet from all computers?

Would you use one router or two? Why.

It's ok.. Noone understands Samstoned's gibberish.

What Sam and the manual said, was that if you put the Belking into AP mode, then the NAT feature on the Belkin will be disabled. Your Linksys will still be able to share the internet and everything will work just fine.

Ha..it wasn't so much "Samstone gibberish" as it was brain freeze on my part.

So I will be able to share internet and share files interchangable on ALL 3 computers.

My other question was ....Which would be better to use in my case
1. Hook up my wireless to my wired? OR
2. Hook up my wired desktops and my wireless laptop all to the Wirless Belkin Router?

Which is easier to hook up and which would offer more of an advantage over the other?

Thanks so much...I know that it does not seem like I have read anything on this subject, but trust me when i tell you that the more I have read the less I seem to understand.

I agree with Sams; Use Linksys as The router, and Belkin as a switch (Belkin makes lousy, IMHO routers - just returned one last week...).

That sort of depends on how the devices are located - only you know how you would have to run your cables and where do you need the wireless coverage.

Nodsu said:
That sort of depends on how the devices are located - only you know how you would have to run your cables and where do you need the wireless coverage.

I don't think that wireless coverage and cable layout will be an issue for me. My cables are already in place from one desktop in den to one desktop in study....and I would hook the wireless laptop to a router in the den which will cover my house. The two desktops would remain as wired, even if I only use wireless Belkin Router.

So, if all things are equal as far as wireless coverage, and cable layout, are there any advantages to having Option 1 or Option 2 in your opinion?

Always keep things simple. If you can do it with only one device, then that's the way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back