TechSpot

Using decrapifier on a Vaio Vista Home Premium

By learninmypc
Sep 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I was given the above mentioned laptop tonight to use for myself & if I can avoid resetting it to factory settings,I'd like to. It currently is in the process of installing 60 MS updates.
    I'd like to know if using Decrapifier will remove all unwanted programs on it?:)

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,246   +232

Ok, I'm not going to use decrapifier, so can somebody help me by telling me how to return it to factory settings? Its a Vaio Vista Home Premium, I think the Model Number is VGN-CR590 TIA :)

3. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,831   +184

4. learninmypc

Ok, I've read that & since there is nothing I want saved on it, do I still need to download the drivers? And if so, do they need to be saved on disc or is a USB ok? Obviously I'm not too familiar with Vista or doing a factory reset.

5. Cobalt006

If you do a factory reset you will not need to download drivers. This will bring laptop back to the day it was bought. It will be like you just purchased it. Then after it is restored .You can add you virus programs and such.

6. learninmypc

Ok, that is what I want to do. "The easy way" :)

7. Cobalt006

Good LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't blame you. Goodluck.

8. learninmypc

I'll let you know. Gonna give it a shot in a bit. Keep your fingers crossed.

9. learninmypc

Gollie, I never cease to amaze myself. It went well. I'm uninstalling some of the crap they include. :) Thank you

10. learninmypc

Everything has gone fine with the exception of getting a pop up telling me of a Vaio update. I click it & get this
    Capture.JPG
    I click the link in the bottom left corner & it "tries" to open up IE as you see here
    Capture1.JPG
    Any suggestions ?

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

I think I would uninstall Vaio Update utility. Then either allow windows to find updated drivers or manually locate them myself. You started the topic asking about Decrapifier, and to me Vaio (Any manufacturers) Update utility is only good for removal.

/my 2ยข

learninmypc likes this.

12. Cobalt006

I tend to agree with cliffordcooley. Its good advice. Glad to here it went good for you and every thing is up and running.

learninmypc likes this.
  13. learninmypc

Ok,I will but I don't see it listed by that specific name in Program & Features. What is it in there?

14. learninmypc

Here is what I see in Vaio in Programs & Features CaptureVAIO.JPG

15. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 899   +39

Looks to me Vaio Update 3 would be it.

16. learninmypc

Ok, I've uninstalled it, rebooted & so far so good. Now I get to learn about Vista, sounds like fun,lol. :)

17. Cobalt006

Will not be hard just a slower version of win 7.

learninmypc likes this.
  18. Cobalt006

Your very welcome:)

19. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

You probably still have more crap on there you can probably get rid of.

Though to be 100%, best to create a disk image copy before you remove more stuff

There's some programs that just take disk space but some that may also be among your startups.

If you want to have a go at the latter, run Autoruns from sysinternals to see all startups and look what's there from Vaio and decide if it's really needed. (Plus some of this Vaio programs may not be needed either, regardless)

20. learninmypc

To create a a disk image, whats the least expensive way to do such,CD or DVD?

21. LookinAround

1) Do you a USB External Drive?
    2) What kind of hard drive in the PC? There's a free version of Acronis for WD. Otherwise, other free image tools available too
    3) How much PC disk space currently in use? How much available on a USB external storage drive?

22. learninmypc

I do have a Verbatim USB harddrive with 215 GB free space & the harddrive on this Vista
    Vista harddrive.JPG
    I don't know what type of harddrive is on the pc.

23. LookinAround

Go in device manager, look under the Disks, it should have the mfr name there

you have plenty of space to store an image on your ext. drive... just checking if you can use something like Acronis (it does compression) as well as other useful stuff

24. LookinAround

Here's another couple free backup /drive imaging tool options
    > Macrium Reflect Free
    > DriveImage XML

Both provide for a bootable CD - which is important should you ever need to restore the image to machine that no longer boots!

There's a lot of user doc about DriveImage XML but guessing Macrium shouldn't be difficult to use either

With DriveImage XML you'll need to build your own boot CD though there are instructions for that too

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/backup-your-computer-with-driveimage-xml/

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topi...-driveimage-xml-data-to-restore-primary-drive

25. learninmypc

Ok, I'm going to be checking prices at a few places this weekend to see who has them the cheapest & will go from there, thank you. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.