Using decrapifier on a Vaio Vista Home Premium

learninmypc

I was given the above mentioned laptop tonight to use for myself & if I can avoid resetting it to factory settings,I'd like to. It currently is in the process of installing 60 MS updates.
I'd like to know if using Decrapifier will remove all unwanted programs on it?:)

Ok, I'm not going to use decrapifier, so can somebody help me by telling me how to return it to factory settings? Its a Vaio Vista Home Premium, I think the Model Number is VGN-CR590 TIA :)

Ok, I've read that & since there is nothing I want saved on it, do I still need to download the drivers? And if so, do they need to be saved on disc or is a USB ok? Obviously I'm not too familiar with Vista or doing a factory reset.

If you do a factory reset you will not need to download drivers. This will bring laptop back to the day it was bought. It will be like you just purchased it. Then after it is restored .You can add you virus programs and such.

Gollie, I never cease to amaze myself. It went well. I'm uninstalling some of the crap they include. :) Thank you

Everything has gone fine with the exception of getting a pop up telling me of a Vaio update. I click it & get this
Capture.JPG
I click the link in the bottom left corner & it "tries" to open up IE as you see here
Capture1.JPG
Any suggestions ?

I think I would uninstall Vaio Update utility. Then either allow windows to find updated drivers or manually locate them myself. You started the topic asking about Decrapifier, and to me Vaio (Any manufacturers) Update utility is only good for removal.

/my 2¢

You probably still have more crap on there you can probably get rid of.

Though to be 100%, best to create a disk image copy before you remove more stuff

There's some programs that just take disk space but some that may also be among your startups.

If you want to have a go at the latter, run Autoruns from sysinternals to see all startups and look what's there from Vaio and decide if it's really needed. (Plus some of this Vaio programs may not be needed either, regardless)

You probably still have more crap on there you can probably get rid of.

Though to be 100%, best to create a disk image copy before you remove more stuff

There's some programs that just take disk space but some that may also be among your startups.

If you want to have a go at the latter, run Autoruns from sysinternals to see all startups and look what's there from Vaio and decide if it's really needed. (Plus some of this Vaio programs may not be needed either, regardless)
To create a a disk image, whats the least expensive way to do such,CD or DVD?

1) Do you a USB External Drive?
2) What kind of hard drive in the PC? There's a free version of Acronis for WD. Otherwise, other free image tools available too
3) How much PC disk space currently in use? How much available on a USB external storage drive?

I do have a Verbatim USB harddrive with 215 GB free space & the harddrive on this Vista
Vista harddrive.JPG
I don't know what type of harddrive is on the pc.

Go in device manager, look under the Disks, it should have the mfr name there

you have plenty of space to store an image on your ext. drive... just checking if you can use something like Acronis (it does compression) as well as other useful stuff

Here's another couple free backup /drive imaging tool options
> Macrium Reflect Free
> DriveImage XML

Both provide for a bootable CD - which is important should you ever need to restore the image to machine that no longer boots!

There's a lot of user doc about DriveImage XML but guessing Macrium shouldn't be difficult to use either

With DriveImage XML you'll need to build your own boot CD though there are instructions for that too

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/backup-your-computer-with-driveimage-xml/

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topi...-driveimage-xml-data-to-restore-primary-drive

Ok, I'm going to be checking prices at a few places this weekend to see who has them the cheapest & will go from there, thank you. :)

Back