TechSpot

Using Updated Drivers

By greatman05
Sep 26, 2006
  1. Hey guys, it's me again. I was wondering: If I had, say, an Intel 845G intergrated card with the Intel Extreme graphics drivers, could I use an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 driver for the 865G with this card? If I did (and it worked) would I see any performance benefit, or am I beter off leaving it with the current drivers I have?

2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

You will not see a performance boost. The misuse of a driver can screw your video up pretty badly. DO NOT try to go with the wrong driver.

3. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Cfitzarl is right. You should never use the wrong driver. The different driver is for different hardware.

4. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 429

What do You Mean?

What do you mean by "It will screw your video up pretty badly"?

5. cfitzarl

It is possible that your resolution will lock up, or no video could be recognized at all.

6. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

I have a D865GVHZ :p Intel Extreme Graphics 2, but i have them disabled, because a video card is better.

7. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 429

Is there a possibility that it would work? And if it did, could I leave it that way?

8. cfitzarl

What we've been trying to say is that it is not possible to make it work better with different drivers.

9. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

get a video card if you want custom resolutions and 5 times the performance, even PCI cards are up to like 10X better (X1300 PCI)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.