Utah Supreme Court says suspects can refuse to hand over phone passwords to the police

emorphy

Staff
Why it matters: Utah's Supreme Court has found that criminal suspects have the constitutional right not to provide their phone's password to the police because it would violate their Fifth Amendment privilege. The ruling joins other opinions on the subject from state Supreme Courts, some of it conflicting. The Supreme Court has not considered this particular scenario to date and could well take up this case.

Utah's state Supreme Court has upheld a court of appeals ruling, finding in the State v. Valdez that the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination allows criminal suspects to refuse to provide the passwords to their phones to police.

The state's top court unanimously ruled in favor of Alfonso Valdez, who had been arrested for kidnapping and assaulting his ex-girlfriend. When he was arrested, the police found a cell phone in his pocket and obtained a search warrant for its contents. However they were unable to crack the password and Valdez refused to provide it when asked. The police were never able to search the phone.

At his trial, the state argued that Valdez's refusal and the police's inability to search the phone undermined one of his defenses. He was convicted in the jury trial, which was reversed by the court of appeals that agreed Valdez had a right under the Fifth Amendment to refuse to provide his passcode, and that the state violated that right when it used his refusal against him at trial. The court reversed Valdez's conviction and remanded the case back to the district court for further proceedings.

The state Supreme Court also noted that the case raises important questions about how the Fifth Amendment extends to law enforcement efforts to unlock smartphones. The justices noted, as an example, law enforcement obtaining an order to compel a suspect to provide an unlocked device, thus circumventing the necessity of having them disclose the password.

With the Valdez case, the police asked him to verbally provide his password and did not get an order to compel him to unlock the device. The Supreme Court hasn't addressed this particular scenario, the justices said, however "we conclude that these facts present a more straightforward question that is answered by settled Fifth Amendment principles."

How the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination applies to unlocking phones has been a major issue in the law of digital evidence investigations, says Berkeley Law Professor Orin Kerr, who maintains that the lower court case law is a "total mess" and it is impossible to determine what the actual law is.

Kerr believes that the Valdez case is a good candidate to go to the US Supreme Court, particularly as other state Supreme Courts have split on how the Fifth Amendment privilege applies to orders to compel a password to execute a warrant for a phone, he writes. Valdez now joins the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in upholding the privilege in that setting, while the New Jersey Supreme Court has disagreed.

Permalink to story.

Utah SC got this right. Everything is on our phone these days and claiming that not wanting to turn that over makes one a crinimal is insane.

Police were able to investiage crimes before 2007, just because total access to everyone’s smartphone would make it easier does not override the constitution.

I have an issue even with a warrant. Warrants are supposed to be specific. General warrants are forbidden by the Constitution. Issuing a warrant for everything on a phone is too general since people keep track of their entire lives on them. I'm also against warrants that seize "all electronic devices" in a dwelling. Like wtf? You're taking my smart LED bulbs?

Even after COVID and the Trump persecutions, I can't believe how many conservatives still lick the government's boots and think they only go after guilty people.

I have an issue even with a warrant. Warrants are supposed to be specific. General warrants are forbidden by the Constitution. Issuing a warrant for everything on a phone is too general since people keep track of their entire lives on them. I'm also against warrants that seize "all electronic devices" in a dwelling. Like wtf? You're taking my smart LED bulbs?

Even after COVID and the Trump persecutions, I can't believe how many conservatives still lick the government's boots and think they only go after guilty people.

A good example of the writing on the wall was Zuckerberg putting tape on his webcam on his laptop.

Speaking of Zuckerberg, he's developing a $270 Million fortress in Hawaii with a massive underground bunker and an escape hatch.

If I recall, the not-so Supreme Court had an earlier ruling that prevented police from seizeing a persons phone without a Federal warrant so why should a person turn over their password without one in the same and as Mr. Trump has made famous, "I don't recall" is also a legal answer ......

That is a tradition spanning at least several decades and presidents.
Not 60 times. And the whole family?
I know he can't string 3 coherent sentences together, but come on!

"I understand things. I comprehend very well, better than I think almost anybody."
DJT

And why would anyone not want to hand over access if being charged with a crime?
Because that is how criminals hide their crimes.
And how the innocent prove themselves.

Last edited:
A password or pinnumber is the safest method, since it is in each person's memory. Biometrics of any type can be obtained without valid consent, since it is "public." Not only would the 5th Amendment cover a password, it can even be taken as "free spech", the right to say it or not say it. but not your face, fingerprint and the like.

Forgive me, but they definitely do if they are accused unjustly.
An innocent person would not withhold the proof of their "innocence".

How old are you? Trying to "prove" your innocence when dealing with police is the last thing you should do; even a bad lawyer will tell you that. You literally can only make your situation worse by answering questions, or even more retarded, providing evidence. Shut up, and let them do their jobs.

You clearly do not understand how the criminal justice system works. Making an accusation then demanding the accused provide evidence to justify the accusation is a blatant violation of the 5th amendment. You cannot be required to self incriminate. Perhaps you are simply naive of reality. Here's a fact: it's legal for police to lie to you. In interrogations, questioning, at any time they can lie to you, and it is legal for them to do so. ANYTHING you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Based on your previous comment, I can only assume you have no idea of what corruption is, have never heard of stories of innocent people being accused of crimes and having their words twisted to put them behind bars for YEARS, or you are being intentionally obtuse because orange man bad. ANY lawyer will tell you: Never speak to the cops. Never say anything without a lawyer present. There is a reason they are telling you this. There are dozens of youtube channels where you can watch people talk themselves into guilty pleas and jail sentences because they cannot keep their mouths shut.

If you are an innocent person accused of the crime, you do not speak to authorities, you request a lawyer immediately and refuse to speak otherwise. The burden of proof is on the ACCUSER, not the accused. It is on the accuser to procure evidence. And this precedence is far older then computers. If you have a safe, and the authorities believe their is evidence of a crime in that safe, they can demand all you want, you do NOT have to provide the combination. It is on them to prove to a judge why they believe there is evidence in that safe, and its up to them to open that safe, whether that means they have to drill it open or get some sucker to tell them how to open it. This has been argued, successfully, in court for 200 years. Stop giving away your freedoms and look up what the 5th amendment.

Oh, and for the record, Orange Man did not invent "I do not recall" and if you think 60 is a lot of times to use that phrase, boy howdy do you need to watch some older congressional hearings. That's nothing. Politicians have worshiped that chestnut nearly as long as humanity has existed.

It really does deny reality. But you see, they have to oppose the CURRENT THING, which in this case was the ACAB movement in 2020/2021. There's no middle ground, just two ever more polarized extremes. But just like free speech, Conservatives only value rights when it benefits them, rather then as a general principal that people could rally around. If they were to propose some common sense reforms limiting this overreach of power, they would dominate election season.

That’s not how it works here in America. One is “innocent until proven guilty,” and does not have to prove they are innocent. Being accused never makes you guilty—being convicted would.

You clearly do not understand how the criminal justice system works. Making an accusation then demanding the accused provide evidence to justify the accusation is a blatant violation of the 5th amendment. You cannot be required to self incriminate. Perhaps you are simply naive of reality. Here's a fact: it's legal for police to lie to you. In interrogations, questioning, at any time they can lie to you, and it is legal for them to do so. ANYTHING you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
Only remain silent if:

1. You are going to lie
2. You are guilty.

An assistant to the City of Pittsburgh DA's office taught me that.
She also taught me that in the history of the world, nobody ever withheld evidence of their innocence. Not that anyone needs to have that explained.

Trying to "prove" your innocence when dealing with police is the last thing you should do; even a bad lawyer will tell you that.
Really? What about the lawyer that told me what I quoted above?

Its easy really. Call your own DA.

A criminal lawyer will ALWAYS tell you not to speak, even if innocent, because then you might not need to hire them.

EDIT:

@screenfacer
@Theinsanegamer

So I just received an education on the matter and want to repeat what I just learned.

DO NOT, EVER, turn over your phone without a warrant.
But it is advised, if innocent, unlock your phone privately, but in view of law enforcement, and show them what they ask to see.

So I do apologize for saying to turn your phone over. DO NOT!
But, definitely cooperate. IF you have nothing to hide.
If you do, they will know that as soon as you refuse cooperation,
and you are probably off to the clink.

Last edited:
If you are an innocent person accused of the crime, you do not speak to authorities, you request a lawyer immediately and refuse to speak otherwise. The burden of proof is on the ACCUSER, not the accused. It is on the accuser to procure evidence. And this precedence is far older then computers. If you have a safe, and the authorities believe their is evidence of a crime in that safe, they can demand all you want, you do NOT have to provide the combination. It is on them to prove to a judge why they believe there is evidence in that safe, and its up to them to open that safe, whether that means they have to drill it open or get some sucker to tell them how to open it. This has been argued, successfully, in court for 200 years. Stop giving away your freedoms and look up what the 5th amendment.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

There are those that will tell you you're wrong (even in this thread).

I guarantee you, you are guilty of breaking a law in some way innocently or not.

Ignorance of the law IS an excuse because the only way to completely know the law is have memorized the entire law library.

Do not ever talk to the police because you have no idea if what you say makes things better or worse.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

There are those that will tell you you're wrong (even in this thread).

I guarantee you, you are guilty of breaking a law in some way innocently or not.

Ignorance of the law IS an excuse because the only way to completely know the law is have memorized the entire law library.

Do not ever talk to the police because you have no idea if what you say makes things better or worse.
For those with one slice of common sense, ignore everything in the post above.
Well, unless you like jail. A lot of words, and every bit of it is bullshit advice.
There is no better way for an innocent person to bring mountains of suspicion on themselves.

Some people lose all credibility with such a lame sentence.

Yes, that poor innocent man, so "unfairly treated" because he's the shining star of innocence!. He thinks he's above the law and his ever bending-over followers are surprised he isn't!!

Only remain silent if:

1. You are going to lie
2. You are guilty.

An assistant to the City of Pittsburgh DA's office taught me that.
She also taught me that in the history of the world, nobody ever withheld evidence of their innocence. Not that anyone needs to have that explained.

Really? What about the lawyer that told me what I quoted above?

Its easy really. Call your own DA.
You do realize the DA is the prosecution, right? Of course they want you to make their job easier.

Any defense, or even neutral attorney (even the ones that practice other types of law) will tell you to be polite and STFU.

Former cop:

Criminal psychology perspective:

But hey, you do you.

You do realize the DA is the prosecution, right?
But hey, you do you.
Since I used to watch Law and Order :D, and the fact that I know that ADA very well, I would say yes. I do know that.

But she is still on the side of fairness.
Though everyone is free to choose "you do you". Which is TERRIBLE advice in this case.
I can cherry-pick a ton of YouTube videos that show an early suspect being released because they proved they were telling the truth.

Every profession has their a******s. That doesn't change a good underlying strategy.

So withhold evidence of your innocence, and go to jail. I myself am a firm believer in the wisdom "in the history of the world, nobody ever withheld evidence of their innocence".

It's a choice.

Last edited:
I have NO problem with a law enforcement officer looking at my phone AFTER he receives a court ordered
warrant.
It's actually more nuanced than this. The very act of speaking could violate your 5th amendment right. You have the right to remain silent. To be compelled to speak with your passcode may violate that. This is the issue. A warrant allows them to investigate your person items without violate your 4th. Warrantless searches are protected by the 4th. So your comment is actually referring to reference to your 4th not your 5th.

Absolutely wrong advice. You should never give up your 4th or 5th. Sometimes when people try to prove their innocent they stumble on other charges. You should only ever say, "I invoke my 4th and 5th." I will not answer questions and I do not consent to searches. The police have a goal of getting you to talk. The "if your innocent you have nothing to hide" is an old boomer phrase. There are some crooked cops out there with some big egos. There are proven plants of evidence. Your parents lied to you. The world is not fair. Do not give up your rights ever.

There are proven plants of evidence. Your parents lied to you. The world is not fair. Do not give up your rights ever.
Reading is supposed to be easy. Thinking? That's on you.
I already said that the advice I got was from an assistant DA. And any DA would say pretty much the same thing. Cops? Yeah, that could be a different answer.
But the facts remain, IF you are innocent, and you have lived a clean and honest life, you will have the opportunity to prove it right then and there.
But the paranoid "everyone is out to get me" life choice is a complete failure.

If you're quoting a DA as your game plan for defending yourself from a DA whose job is to get a conviction, (often times regardless of if it's justified (there's plenty of political prosecutions), you're doing it wrong.

I'll stick to taking advice from lawyers who's job it is to defend people, not the prosecution. Never talk to police. You tell them you will make a complete statement after consulting with an attorney and then you zip your lips. The police and DA's office are not on your side, whether innocent or guilty, and you do not want to ever open any doors for them to pursue charges against you.

Back