TechSpot

Utility to zip files from separate directories, saving path information?

By lkjhg
Jul 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I'm fighting a mysterious issue in my XP SP3 computer that causes occasional BSODs.

Symptoms are pointing to it being a drive controller, the D drive (where I keep my documents and other data files), or maybe if I'm lucky, just a SATA cable for the D drive. This issue is documented in another forum; I'm not looking for a solution here.

Here's what I'm wondering.

I have a full image of the D drive from two weeks ago. So if I buy a new drive, I'll just restore the old image to the new drive and away I'll go, complete. Almost.

I'd like to find a way to capture all the files that are new or changed on D since two weeks ago. This process as I see it would involve:
    • Use "find files or folders" to find all files new or changed since 7/11/2010
    • Zip these files into an archive
    • Put files where they go on new D drive

Simple enough. But I'd like there to be a utility that doesn't just archive the files, it also saves the path names, and then puts the files in the right path on the new drive. For example, if I have new files in d:\directory1 and d:\directory2\newstuff and d:\directory3\photos\july21-2010 (you get the idea), I'd like the files to automatically go from my archive into where they belong, even if that means creating a new folder where none existed in the image from two weeks ago.

Does such a utility exist, or is there a technique I can use to make this happen? FWIW, I use 7-zip as my archiving software.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.