Utilize Dual Ethernet Ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix CMXIV

I was talking to the manager at a local computer shop, I told him i have 2 Ethernet ports, he asked what type of arrogant ( ? ) I was using...

He told me that you need something to be able to connect to the internet with both inputs.. What do I need?

Thanks ahead of time.

You don't need to use both ports for an Internet connection. I have a mobo with two of them, and I use only one of the ports, and have disabled the other port via the BIOS.

Yes, but I am a fairly avid gamer, and would like more overall internet capabilities. I have internet running just through one now, but i would like it if it ran through both.

It's called NIC binding (and lots of other names) - and yes it is possible if your have software/drivers to support it. Check your mobo manufacturer. The only thing you should keep in mind is that you are not going to get double the performance from your internet connection. You probably won't see any difference at all there - only possibly in LAN based instances.

everyone assumes that two NICs can be used in parallel to get 2x performance.

that is difficult for several reasons
the routing table predicts which nic will get the connection
and bidirectional flow is based upon the initial connection​
The most important reason is the send/receive of packets so as to avoid duplicates, which thwart the throughput.

The ideal (conceptually) is to send (or receive) odd # packets on one NIC and the even # packets on the other --
and that's not how TCP works. ATM (Asyn Transfer Mode) is required to perform that kind of operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back