Valve bans first-person shooter game and developer after public protest

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
What just happened? A video game called Active Shooter has been pulled from the Steam storefront. The game reportedly started as a SWAT simulator but recently added school shooting scenarios that allowed users to play as civilian, police, or shooter.

Valve told The Guardian, “We have removed the developer Revived Games and publisher ACID from Steam.”

The developer/publisher was apparently just one individual named Ata Berdiyev. According to Valve, Berdiyev had previously operated under the developer name Elusive Team and publisher name [bc]Interactive. Under those accounts, he released Fidget Spinner Simulator 2 and Piccled Ricc. Polygon reported that the latter game was pulled due to copyright violations, and his dev/pub accounts were removed from Steam.

Active Shooter released only a few weeks ago, but on May 24, Berdiyev announced the addition of the new civilian and shooter modes with screenshots showing tallies of the number of civs and police killed.

According to The Guardian, shortly after the update went live, an online mob formed asking Valve to remove the game. The movement was reportedly headed by Ryan Petty and Fred Guttenberg, who had children killed in the Parkland school shooting.

The removal brings up hints of censorship and free-speech concerns. However, what most people forget about the First Amendment is that it only prohibits the government from interfering with an individual’s right to free speech. Private establishments can create and enforce as many rules against speech as they want, but it is a tightrope that many are careful to tread.

"This developer and publisher is, in fact, a person calling himself Ata Berdiyev, who had previously been removed last fall when he was operating as ‘[bc]Interactive’ and ‘Elusive Team.’"

In this case, Berdiyev was not being prevented from creating his game. Valve was merely choosing not to sell it anymore. This was a business decision and nothing more. Berdiyev is still completely free to go peddle his less than mediocre “shovelware,” somewhere else.

Forbes summed up the situation very succinctly saying, “Active Shooter's developer had every right to make the game. You, as a consumer, have a right to buy and play it or not. And Valve, as the owner of the storefront, has a right to choose whether or not to sell the game in the first place. They chose not to. That's not censorship, as some are proclaiming, it's just a business decision — and likely a very smart business decision.”

Berdiyev was already skirting around Valve’s previous ban. His sub-par games have a history of relying on shock value for sales and rode on the edges of copyright law. Active Shooter was doing just fine ripping players off until he decided to add the school shooting update. The addition was like a big bullhorn saying, “Hey Valve! Remember me?”

Did the public outcry influence Valve's decision? Sure, but that has little bearing on whether or not Valve has the right to choose which products it sells. It is the same concept behind the prohibition of AO-rated games. Stores are not forbidden to sell AO games; they simply choose not to.

Permalink to story.

A simple matter of insensitivity shouldn't get a company banned .... but try explaining that to the mother of some of the kids that died ......

I have a hard time correlating this to free speech infringement.

It's clear the developer of this "game" is trying to make money, not make a political or religious statement. And he's using a reprehensible shock-effect tactic to do it.

You walk into any business and there is always a sign on the wall that states, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." As far as I'm concerned, that's all Valve is doing here. And apparently have already done before with this Berdiyev character.

The removal brings up hints of censorship and free-speech concerns. However, what most people forget about the First Amendment is that it only prohibits the government from interfering with an individual’s right to free speech. Private establishments can create and enforce as many rules against speech as they want, but it is a tightrope that many are careful to tread.

They don't walk a tightrope. Everybody on this forum knows exactly what you are and are not allowed to say or believe in public view, on or off the clock. You walk the tightrope and they decide how thick it is...and when it gets cut.

I don't really care about this game, but a violent game will always have violence, regardless of degree, setting, and realism. Also this isn't any different to Postal, Hatred or GTA. Valve just chooses to act where the angry mob points their pitchforks.

I don't really care about this game, but a violent game will always have violence, regardless of degree, setting, and realism. Also this isn't any different to Postal, Hatred or GTA. Valve just chooses to act where the angry mob points their pitchforks.
Exactly my point of view :)
There is no need to censor "controversial games", but simply kick out bad games, unity asset flips, games that do not even run properly, clean up the store.
No need to censor games.

They don't walk a tightrope. Everybody on this forum knows exactly what you are and are not allowed to say or believe in public view, on or off the clock. You walk the tightrope and they decide how thick it is...and when it gets cut.

Lets just get to the point: Radical Liberalism is ruining the internet and free speech.

Lets just get to the point: Radical Liberalism is ruining the internet and free speech.
I just love it when people mumble about crap. This has nothing to do with politics. Pick any conservative site, and you can be assured that they have banned liberalistic speech. In fact, conservative owned media routinely does conservative supporting stories whether they are based in fact or not.

Conservatives have no high road to take in the matter. It happens on both sides. And no matter the side that it comes from, it is called "Propaganda".

Yeah this was in bad taste, I thought the same thing about the civilian massacre at USA airports in modern warfare 2.
I never played the game, but if I were to take an optimistic view of the matter, perhaps they did this to make you think about the atrocities that happen in war - because stuff like this does happen in real war.

I am not defending it, and my pessimistic view of the world leads me to believe that the developers of the game did it for the shock value, and nothing more.

However, I would argue that there are those out there at this moment in time that may be thinking of how they can have their 15-minutes of fame by perpetrating their very own school shooting, and this game just might appeal to and encourage some insane person to do so. I doubt that anyone really wants to see yet another school shooting of which there have been something like 23 so far this year - which is about one a week.

I should be stating the obvious, but all sites do this.

I have a hard time correlating this to free speech infringement.

It's clear the developer of this "game" is trying to make money, not make a political or religious statement. And he's using a reprehensible shock-effect tactic to do it.

You walk into any business and there is always a sign on the wall that states, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." As far as I'm concerned, that's all Valve is doing here. And apparently have already done before with this Berdiyev character.
As far as this might get in relation to SCOTUS decisions about free speech is that perhaps it can be construed as inciting violence. It is a game, so it is my opinion that it is a game, and as such, there is no intent to incite violence.

At this time, however, it is certainly in bad taste, and there are those out there that will attempt to profit from situations like this. It happens all the time, this time, though it is almost certainly an ill-timed attempt from the developer.

I just love it when people mumble about crap. This has nothing to do with politics. Pick any conservative site, and you can be assured that they have banned liberalistic speech. In fact, conservative owned media routinely does conservative supporting stories whether they are based in fact or not.

Conservatives have no high road to take in the matter. It happens on both sides. And no matter the side that it comes from, it is called "Propaganda".
I found myslef to be pretty damn clear and outspoken, I don't know how that can be interpreted as a ''mumble''. RADICAL LIBERALISM in all caps for you this time. ''Pick any conservative site, and you can be assured that they have banned liberalistic speech. In fact, conservative owned media routinely does conservative supporting stories whether they are based in fact or not.'' What a bunch of fabricated garbage that is, anybody who loves this country and the constitution will let anybody speak their minds, I've seen people get destroyed in debates but never censored for ''liberalistic speech''. What are these ''conservative sites'' you speak of? Also very interesting how you blanket all conservatives in one group, while I only spoke of the radicalized liberals. Now would you mind showing me these articles from ''conservative owned media'' that are not based on facts since they ''routinely'' come out? I don't get why you would do this to yourself.

Whats funny is this guy is still an admin of Steam. He can chose to bann who ever he feels. Steam dont have any safeguards to prevent abuse. I have a long standing grudge with this guy. He is the owner and founder of the Torrent site DigitalHive. I know all this for specific personal reasons. I wish he would lose his admin rights to steam. But it still wont change what he did to my steam account years back. To me whether this is justified or not just glad to see some action against this troll.

I found myslef to be pretty damn clear and outspoken, I don't know how that can be interpreted as a ''mumble''. RADICAL LIBERALISM in all caps for you this time. ''Pick any conservative site, and you can be assured that they have banned liberalistic speech. In fact, conservative owned media routinely does conservative supporting stories whether they are based in fact or not.'' What a bunch of fabricated garbage that is, anybody who loves this country and the constitution will let anybody speak their minds, I've seen people get destroyed in debates but never censored for ''liberalistic speech''. What are these ''conservative sites'' you speak of? Also very interesting how you blanket all conservatives in one group, while I only spoke of the radicalized liberals. Now would you mind showing me these articles from ''conservative owned media'' that are not based on facts since they ''routinely'' come out? I don't get why you would do this to yourself.
LOL

You are certainly welcome to delude yourself and continue to take the high road. Plenty of radicalized conservatives out there, too. https://uproxx.com/news/sinclair-journalist-reveals-why-they-cant-quit/

I already know what your reply will be - FAKE NEWS. When you have developed some critical thinking, come back. I might listen to you.

Those people that you think love the country and are willing to let anyone have their free speech want you to think that they love the country, but they only love what they think should be the country. This is an illness called "God complex". Just like the guy who keeps tweeting "Fake News" Why did the justice department tell him that his accusations of spies in his campaign were not true? Oh, I forgot Deep State, Deep Swamp. FAKE NEWS!

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/conservative-media-bias/

Last edited:
Active Shooter is not the only first-person shooter game. Shell Shockers is an interesting multiplayer first-person shooter game that is developed in the form of an io game. This is really a great game with addictive gameplay and cute graphics. You can play it on Freegames66.com

Back