Valve expected to showcase Steam Box hardware next week

By Shawn Knight
Sep 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Valve co-founder Gabe Newell recently reignited talk of a Stream Box during a keynote at LinuxCon 2013. As part of his speech, Newell promised to offer more information about the hardware opportunities Valve sees for bringing Linux into the living...

Read more
  2. RenGood08

RenGood08 TechSpot Booster Posts: 191   +13

Hmm. This is pretty cool. But eventually, the sad question would be "What's the use for a desktop?" Sometimes, its just plain better having a desktop. I'm looking into one to replace my laptop. Laptop is better for travel than my fulltime computer.

And on an unrelated note....WHO PROOF-READS THESE ARTICLES? Always a typo somewhere.
  3. I for one look forward to the steam box. However, I am concerned with game compatability.

The key feature of a console over a PC is to be able to load games and just have them work. PCs don't normally have this due to ever-growing hardware requirements. There have been plenty of times where I'd have to install a new driver, or a new version of software just to get a game to work on PC.

If the steam box can just run games off steam and just have them work without me having to do any extra stuff, then that will make it worth while.
  4. customcarvin

customcarvin TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102   +7

I'm very curious to see what Valve has in store for us. They have been fairly quiet for a while now and I'm sure they have more than one or two surprises up their sleeves.

Hopefully this project doesn't flop. I'm sure they have invested a lot of time and money into it. The biggest problems I think we'll see with using Linux on the Steambox is going to be:

The lack of third party support for it. Most of the devs out there use directx because the api tool-set is easy and powerful to use and implement when porting games.

And:
    The HUGE catalog of directx only titles that won't be available on Linux.

If Valve (or someone) could make an api tool-set for Linux using OpenGL and implement sound, input, etc. I think we could finally look to a future of gaming without being tied to Microsoft and directx... I'm not going to hold my breath though. :)
  5. Stupido

Stupido TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 58

6. customcarvin

Ah yes, good old directx wrappers. They work, kinda, but as noted in the article, there are issues that need to be fixed, and who knows if they ever will be... Still, it's good news that it is being actively worked on. :)
  7. Steam box sounds great but what about users that want to play BF3 or BF4 or Crysis 3?
  8. Stupido

well, I don't think they are wrappers:

quote from the article (with my emphasis in bold):
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,966   +728

Steam box sounds great but what about users that want to play Pong or PacMan or Tetris?
  10. customcarvin

I stand corrected. I obviously missed the biggest point of the article when I skimmed through :oops: ...This does look very interesting after all. I wonder how Microsoft will react if this works and becomes popular. Could this be considered reverse engineering, and therefore software infringement, since they are natively implementing the dx9 calls in a non-Windows ecosystem instead of translating to OpenGL like wrappers?
  11. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,174   +511

SteamBox is supposed to be for Valve stuff and to expand the world to Valve and devs for making things that will go on steam from what I understand.

I hope this goes through as it is great for devs!

12. Stupido

I don't really know whether can be considered as reverse engineering... I don't know if DX9 is open or not... :confused:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.