Valve trademarks Half-Life 3 in Europe, is it finally coming?

Scorpus

Staff member

valve -life europe trademark hl3 half life games half life 3

Half-Life 3 still hasn't seen an official announcement, but the long-awaited game from Valve might be closer than you think. As discovered through the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market, which deals with the European Union's trademark filings, Valve recently trademarked "Half-Life 3" in Europe, fueling speculation about the game.

The trademark was filed on September 26, and covers "computer game software", "downloadable computer game software via a global computer network and wireless devices" as well as other good and services. While the trademark was discovered in Europe, searching through the US Patent and Trademark Office doesn't reveal an equivalent trademark for the United States.

The most recent entry in the Half-Life series was released in 2007 as Half-Life 2: Episode Two. Since then, fans of the series have been holding on to slim rumors and information relating to Episode Three, which was announced in 2006 but subsequently failed to materialize. There's speculation that a full sequel - Half-Life 3 - is in development, but Valve has yet to make any official reveal.

Valve's most recent line of announcements have surrounded bringing Steam into the living room. The first revealed SteamOS, a Linux-based OS designed for Steam; the second was Steam Machines, specific PC gaming hardware for SteamOS; and the third unveiled the Steam Controller. Rounding off the announcements with Half-Life 3 would certainly please a lot of gamers, but for now, the title will remain one of the most elusive in recent times.

Permalink to story.

The first HalfLife was a great sci-fi thriller, not just a game, is why people loved it.The second one lost that touch. I have little faith the third one will be any better.

They waited that long to trade mark the name? Wow, I would have really thought it was under valves license belt years ago. Not like any one should care, this game still isn't coming out in the next ten years. It's valve's equivalent to a pink unicorn, say it exist and wish it exist all you want, doesn't make it anymore real. If it does come out, I'm sure as hell not paying for it, Valve *** holes need to understand you can't tease your audience year after year just to further rub salt in the wound by saying their won't be a conclusion but perhaps, and this is a BIG Perhaps, a sequel? Valve can get a big middle finger on this announcement, even if valve hasn't officially said anything.

The first HalfLife was a great sci-fi thriller, not just a game, is why people loved it.The second one lost that touch. I have little faith the third one will be any better.
the second one was the best game I've ever played. no other game had the same affect on me as HL2.

Wow. You're the first person I've ever heard of who didn't like Half Life 2. I have to agree with Puiu on this one. Half Life 2 is the best game I've ever played.

Fair play, there were enough years between HL1 and HL2 releases for myself to become more indifferent to all the hype about the game... so maybe that was it.

Valve, please spin off Steam as a separate company or something, then you can focus more on the important piece of the puzzle, games, in particular, Half-life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3, whichever you want to call it, although I'm still sad you will not make any official announcements on one of the highest rated series in gaming history...

MY. HEAD. HURTS. FROM. THE. BULLSHIT.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-os-forms/tm3-introduction.htm

If I wanted to, I could go and register Xbox 2, Xbox 3, PS5, PS99999, Halo 12, Halo 13, Steambox, Terrys Chocolate Orange: The Video Game, Apple Box, Greenbox, Apple Console, iConsole, COD 15. Battlefield 5, Youtube 2, and so on.

Has ANYBODY (besides those defrauding advertisers out of click money by making copy paste articles) considered the fact that Valve was probably just moving to protect somebody from buying the trademark to a future game/product they will make, then asking for literally millions and millions of pounds to sell it on to the company?

For example, somebody in China trademarked "iPhone 5," then sued Apple (successfully, as they had the trademark first) for about 50 million pounds.

This is internet "journalism" at its most raw; utterly false, pretentious, misleading hippy dippy bullshit. This is literally inventing a story and then rather than creating a story, just copy pasting them from other websites.

I will now install an adblocker to make sure you receive NO MONEY from **** like this. If you have a genuine article, I will disable it for that page and that page only. I encourage everybody to do the same.

Wow... You take stuff on the internet a little bit to seriously don't you "OliTheG"...
There is no wonder his head hurts, if he spends his time trying to find the source of each article, so he can enable ads on the page.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my actual post; I actually meant that I would only disable ads if techspot wernt clearly copy pasting articles and coming up with meaningful posts, such as the reviews and deals areas.

I actually meant that I would only disable ads if techspot wernt clearly copy pasting articles and coming up with meaningful posts.
And why is this copy and paste article meaningless to you? Do you not live in Europe? This is a global site, which means sometimes you have to skip over articles that are directed at others.

MY. HEAD. HURTS. FROM. THE. BULLSHIT.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-os-forms/tm3-introduction.htm

If I wanted to, I could go and register Xbox 2, Xbox 3, PS5, PS99999, Halo 12, Halo 13, Steambox, Terrys Chocolate Orange: The Video Game, Apple Box, Greenbox, Apple Console, iConsole, COD 15. Battlefield 5, Youtube 2, and so on.

Has ANYBODY (besides those defrauding advertisers out of click money by making copy paste articles) considered the fact that Valve was probably just moving to protect somebody from buying the trademark to a future game/product they will make, then asking for literally millions and millions of pounds to sell it on to the company?

For example, somebody in China trademarked "iPhone 5," then sued Apple (successfully, as they had the trademark first) for about 50 million pounds.

This is internet "journalism" at its most raw; utterly false, pretentious, misleading hippy dippy bullshit. This is literally inventing a story and then rather than creating a story, just copy pasting them from other websites.

I will now install an adblocker to make sure you receive NO MONEY from **** like this. If you have a genuine article, I will disable it for that page and that page only. I encourage everybody to do the same.
That usually doesn't work if the company is big enough and well known enough, those companies tend to be favored in court. Hell Datsun took the name Nissan (when they changed) from a guy who's last name IS Nissan because they were a bigger brand.

Back