Valve's Source 2 engine shown in leaked Left 4 Dead 2 prototype screenshots

By Shawn Knight
Jan 29, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A series of leaked screenshots allegedly from a confidential Valve PowerPoint presentation show the company's Source 2.0 engine in action. The images were posted by reputable Neogaf user "CBOAT" which gives them a bit more credibility if nothing else.

Read more
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

When the first Source Engine released, the first time I saw Half-Life 2 with my own eyes, it looked incredible.

This also looks incredible.

Will be nice to play a source game which will put my GPU to good use as the old one, well it doesn't really need to try very hard xD
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,854   +342

Curious what kind of requirements to expect to run games in this..feels a little bit like frostbite.
  4. I hope they put code in there so it only runs on Windows 7 or SteamOS or Linux.
    EClyde likes this.
  5. ikesmasher

yes lets limit games to specific OS! that makes it great for business and makes it so more people play our games!
    Sheesh.
  6. Holy cow, just take my money. It would be sweet if they had a zombie that looked like foliage. Damn the survivors.
    wastedkill likes this.
  7. Maximum Payne

Maximum Payne Newcomer, in training

I don't know is it confirmed but rumor was Source 2 will be open GL only.
  8. spencer

spencer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

or don't port it to OSX.
  9. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TechSpot Booster Posts: 302   +43

Source was amazing on HL2 when it debuted, the biggest thing I have liked about source though is it has changed it kept getting better, source from 2004 was not as sharp and good looking as source in 2009 for L4D2 or when CS:GO came out. If source 2 is just as upgradeable I see valve having another good streak of games for the next decade.
  10. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 408   +73

Idk what you guys see in this but to me it looks jagged and square and blocky and... old?

If you compare something like unreal engine to this source engine picture its not even close. Still a picture doesn't really show anything, we'll have to see a video to really get an idea.
  11. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

Yeah the brush and trees look particularly disappointing. Hopefully these shots don't compare to the final product.

12. ikesmasher

Ill say the trees are disappointing but the brush looks fine to me...
  13. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,676   +868

I have faith in Valve!
  14. More eye candy is certainly better but I'd imagine this engine is more directed towards the SteamOS and OGL movement so I'd imagine its not a huge upgrade in the way of what you see but more what it'll run on. Games like L4D focus more on fun than graphics IMO
  15. Not impressed, and I wouldn't hold my breath for Half Life 3.
  16. EClyde

EClyde TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 135   +12

LEAKED ?? No released on purpose.
  17. Half-life 3 confirmed!
  18. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 201   +6

It's been a long time since I have had any wow factor in games. A few noticable ones I have had over the years included Wing Commander Prophecy (3DO) and it's fmv scenes, Cannon Fodder on the Amiga and its carton cut scenes, TombRaider + 3dfx, Halflife and the opening train journey (again 3dfx), Unreal and the amazing water effects.

19. Linux exclusive, do it. It would be so evil, yet brilliant.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.