Venues are making fans seal their phones in lockable bags to stop them recording shows

midian182

Staff member

People that record concerts on their phones have been dividing opinion for years. Some argue that after paying so much money for tickets, fans should have the right to record footage, while others say a sea of brightly lit devices can ruin the experience for everyone, including the performers.

But a system that makes sure phones aren’t used during performances is gaining popularity among venues.

With Yondr, people entering a concert location must place their phone in a neophrene pouch. They can keep the devices on them, but once they enter the ‘phone-free zone’ the bags lock, making the phone unusable.

Accessing the device will require people leave the venue and use the unlocking station on the way out. Once they come back inside the case will relock itself.

The Guardian reports that Yondr has already been tested at gigs from Alicia Keys, Chris Rock, Guns N’ Roses, and Hannibal Buress. Louis CK and Dave Chappelle are also said to be fans.

Using Yondr won’t be optional for anyone attending events where the technology is in place. You’re probably not going to get strip searched to see if you’re hiding a phone in a prison-style manner, but getting caught using one in the venue will likely get you kicked out.

"The goal isn't to be the Gestapo," said Graham Dugoni, the inventor of Yondr. "Technology is fine but in certain contexts, it erodes the experience."

While Yondr can be used in other places where phone-free zones are beneficial, such as schools, cinemas, and theaters, Dugoni said the system will be particularly helpful for those situations you rather didn’t end up online.

"Generally people don't let loose because they are afraid of showing up on YouTube and being accountable for what they do all the time," he said. "Yondr frees people up." So no more worrying about your drunken antics at the local bar ending up on Facebook.

Permalink to story.

People that record concerts on their phones have been dividing opinion for years. Some argue that after paying so much money for tickets, fans should have the right to record footage, while others say a sea of brightly lit devices can ruin the experience for everyone, including the performers.

It doesn't ruin anything, but it can make it difficult to read music if people have their flash going off.

The policy is dumb, imo. I was at an Al Di Meola concert a while back at a venue where they had a no camera policy. "The artist requests you not video tape or photograph the performance," said some signs and a few ushers who make a couple people stop recording after some goodie two shoes alerted them to the violation.

Not but a few minutes later, Al walked up to some people filming in the front row and broke into a solo. Dude even linked to a few other "forbidden" videos from that show on twitter. Here's one of them, from the end of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ghvnhJwcDU

It doesn't ruin anything, but it can make it difficult to read music if people have their flash going off.

The policy is dumb, imo. I was at an Al Di Meola concert a while back at a venue where they had a no camera policy. "The artist requests you not video tape or photograph the performance," said some signs and a few ushers who make a couple people stop recording after some goodie two shoes alerted them to the violation.

Not but a few minutes later, Al walked up to some people filming in the front row and broke into a solo. Dude even linked to a few other "forbidden" videos from that show on twitter. Here's one of them, from the end of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ghvnhJwcDU

I agree this is dumb. #1 especially at concerts video taping it usually helps an artist! You don't go to hear a song you can listen to a song on the radio, or buy the song for $.99! You go and pay $30-$100 for the experience!!! Seeing a concert on youtube usually makes me want to go see them live! Like food ads on TV make me hungry! Watching it doesn't give you the same experience as actually being there but it does show you what it's like and get you thinking about the artist. Maybe you even end up hearing a new song of theirs you like and then end up buying it later! Its about getting more viability!

I actually disagree. You go for the experience of seeing something you can't get from listening to the radio. The live music is usually much better. But why is it you think that a sea of morons recording the show is acceptable. The only lights other than from the show, should be from lighters during the ballad numbers... as in the old days. I mean I ain't even that old but I can see this is freaking lame.
Wtf is wrong with you people...

And a lot of performers are not happy about their music on youtube videos, and I agree with the removal of videos they choose to remove.

YouTube should be for the videos you make of the things you do and create, not the musical creations of others and their concerts, although I think you could be forgiven for a weekend festival like Glastonbury, where you may happen to film performers whilst at the same time filming 10 people drown in the muddy waters.

If an artist uploads their content to YouTube that is up to them. But no, I don't think you should. They should have cameras recording the event and the crowd of which you should be able to obtain for a reasonable price, and say, hey mum look thats me at the take that reunion concert, aren't I sad... :D

I actually disagree. You go for the experience of seeing something you can't get from listening to the radio. The live music is usually much better. But why is it you think that a sea of morons recording the show is acceptable. The only lights other than from the show, should be from lighters during the ballad numbers... as in the old days. I mean I ain't even that old but I can see this is freaking lame.
Wtf is wrong with you people...

And a lot of performers are not happy about their music on youtube videos, and I agree with the removal of videos they choose to remove.

YouTube should be for the videos you make of the things you do and create, not the musical creations of others and their concerts, although I think you could be forgiven for a weekend festival like Glastonbury, where you may happen to film performers whilst at the same time filming 10 people drown in the muddy waters.

If an artist uploads their content to YouTube that is up to them. But no, I don't think you should. They should have cameras recording the event and the crowd of which you should be able to obtain for a reasonable price, and say, hey mum look thats me at the take that reunion concert, aren't I sad... :D

It's not their content you are uploading though. You are uploading a fan's experience of another's music. You are essentially putting down every Let's Play Youtuber or anyone who's done their own rendition of something popular. Are we going to start banning new age Romeo and Juliet plays because shakespear isn't the one who gave permission?

It's not their content you are uploading though. You are uploading a fan's experience of another's music. You are essentially putting down every Let's Play Youtuber or anyone who's done their own rendition of something popular. Are we going to start banning new age Romeo and Juliet plays because shakespear isn't the one who gave permission?

No, you're filming someone's performance. Not your own performance. Upload your own, not someone elses work. End of...

I'm going to say respect the artist's wishes. If they don't want cellphones out during the concert and you can't handle that request, then don't go.
You don't seem to be there to fully experience it if your intention is to record it. And besides, most concert recordings are garbage (blown out audio, shaky camera, etc.) which means you're probably also just ruining some other person's experience by trying to get the "best" angle and whatnot. As for photos, the flash can be pretty annoying and people don't tend to think about other people.

That being said, there are a few cases where having phones at a concert was pretty cool. I think I heard of a Bruno Mars concert where the audience took out their phones to do the lighter's in the air.

Otherwise, I don't see a point of using a phone at a concert for media purposes...

No, you're filming someone's performance. Not your own performance. Upload your own, not someone elses work. End of...

That's called a perspective piece. It's your camera and your POV. It is exactly the same as Let's Play videos or for that fact any commentary in any form on anything.

If you didn't know, there's a law on it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

You are arguing for something pointless. You want artists to remove videos of low quality, something that won't hold a candle to the actual album or concert, and for what point? That it may subvert people who probably weren't going to buy the album / ticket anyways? Apparently it's bad business to show how great a real concert is going to be.

I think it's crazy to pay to go to a show and be looking at the phone while you record instead of getting into the show. It's like in the picture in the article, it's getting ridiculous.

Fine record the show, like the comment above, it's just a crap thing to do anyways, just go watch the show and enjoy yourself. This is one of those lame things new age people do with their tech, I just don't get humans anymore. Tech has made people dumb. I don't want someone blocking my view our running my experience. If you think you have the right to block my view, understand I have the right to break your phone. Smiley face curly hair clown hat

At concert venues, there tends to be so many lights from the show itself, the light emitted from phones is not as bothersome as someone's hand in front of my face the whole time holding up the phone.

I just want this tech to show up in movie theaters. I find the light from phones here, even if someone is quickly checking texts, distracts from the movie experience so much. I would pay more to go to a theater that enforces this in certain/all theater rooms.

Per some comments above though, how do you handle emergencies with this product? What if you need to make an emergency call due to someone passing out or getting hurt at one of these places? Movie theaters not as much concern but some concerts get out of hand at times.

I've never been one to take or be in pictures. I understand that its nice to remember certain moments but most people are so shallow these days its more trying to look cool and sugarcoat their existence.
Put the god damn camera down and enjoy the show/enjoy your life.

At concert venues, there tends to be so many lights from the show itself, the light emitted from phones is not as bothersome as someone's hand in front of my face the whole time holding up the phone.

I just want this tech to show up in movie theaters. I find the light from phones here, even if someone is quickly checking texts, distracts from the movie experience so much. I would pay more to go to a theater that enforces this in certain/all theater rooms.

Per some comments above though, how do you handle emergencies with this product? What if you need to make an emergency call due to someone passing out or getting hurt at one of these places? Movie theaters not as much concern but some concerts get out of hand at times.

Firstly stop going to the cinema, why the fudge are overspending on a movie ? I know it is "each to their own" but seriously... And emergencies in an arena ? Natural selection, your time has come ? Is the person injured due to being a d!ck and using their phone to film the concert and thus deserves it, so no emergency services needed, or was the show that bad ***, they are dying happy, so no need to phone or alert anyone, just keeping rocking out people !!!

I realize, I am old. I don't care for music, films, concerts, I have finally become my dad. I realize that everything has been done before and more times has the circles of fashion and rehashed films and beats come around, than back even in his day, so I really don't see the need to preserve some Kanye or Bieber concert. You may disagree, you may feel that you need to preserve this overly milked rubbish to fap to in later life, I just severely doubt it.

It is like showing someone your new born baby photos, your holiday snaps... no one cares, no one wants to see the video of the concert you went to, of which you were stuck behind Mr 6 ft 6. So really, I don't get why this is an issue, if you are filming a concert, you are a sad case. A loser, end of file.

GOOD! That first picture says it all. Maybe it is because I am short... but it is frustrating and it makes me angry when all I can see are bright screens in front of my face. Furthermore; the video quality sucks. With a few exceptions, live videos on YouTube taken with phones are almost unwatchable. Give your arms a rest and just watch the show without the glare of a screen in front of your eyes.

They should have cameras recording the event and the crowd of which you should be able to obtain for a reasonable price, and say, hey mum look thats me at the take that reunion concert, aren't I sad... :D
I like this idea. This could apply to any stage performance including theatrical musicals or plays.

I think it's crazy to pay to go to a show and be looking at the phone while you record instead of getting into the show. It's like in the picture in the article, it's getting ridiculous.

That is exactly what I was about to write in my own comment when I read yours... What's the point of going to a show, and spend your time with your eyes riveted on your phone's screen while you could actually *look* at the performers and *enjoy* the (real) show?... Leaves me wondering...

Seriously, guys..?

I have a hard time believing that artists actually care about you stealing their intellectual property..

More than anything, recording a live show is just rude. It's rude to your friends that came with you, and it's rude to everyone around you. It's sad that a venue has to ban cellphone use just to encourage basic human decency, but if that's the only way.. so be it.

Take it from me, a 5'8" avid concert goer who is already doomed to miss much of the show struggling to see over 6.5' skinheads. Add in dozens of *****s waving their phones through the air, and I don't get to see a da-mn thing (unless I try to watch it on their tiny screens).

And what's the point..? I used to take those videos myself, until I realizing a grainy, shaky, low res video with blown out audio is no way to remember a great show -- especially when you missed the entire thing trying to film it.

Just don't bother.. Nobody wants to see your crappy vids. I doubt even you do. Just take a pic so you can brag about how close you wear, and pick up a dvd at the end of the tour..

That's called a perspective piece. It's your camera and your POV. It is exactly the same as Let's Play videos or for that fact any commentary in any form on anything.

If you didn't know, there's a law on it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

You are arguing for something pointless. You want artists to remove videos of low quality, something that won't hold a candle to the actual album or concert, and for what point? That it may subvert people who probably weren't going to buy the album / ticket anyways? Apparently it's bad business to show how great a real concert is going to be.
Seriously..? No, that's definitely not fair use. Not even close..

First of all, that would be presuming that you already have the legal right to be filming. Not just the permission of the artist and the venue, but also everyone around you captured in your 'perspective piece'. Add on top of that any permits required to be filming..

Second, you can't just record whatever you like and call it art, and claim protection under Fair Use. You'll actually have to show some sort of background in your 'art', otherwise any judge will laugh you out of the courtroom as they hand out massive punitive damages against you.

Seriously though, guy.. You're just being a contrarian. That's no way to live life. It's a beautiful day outside -- how about you go and get some fresh air..? x]

I like this idea. This could apply to any stage performance including theatrical musicals or plays.

I was thinking this is half done when stand up comedy shows get done just not always a lot of crowd imagery.

But let me predict the future. They will use annoying technology, to defeat this annoying technology. Imagine when they want that 360 degree view of everything to get the best edit for the DVDs , how long before their crowd drones crash into people causing carnage?

Seriously..? No, that's definitely not fair use. Not even close..

First of all, that would be presuming that you already have the legal right to be filming. Not just the permission of the artist and the venue, but also everyone around you captured in your 'perspective piece'. Add on top of that any permits required to be filming..

Second, you can't just record whatever you like and call it art, and claim protection under Fair Use. You'll actually have to show some sort of background in your 'art', otherwise any judge will laugh you out of the courtroom as they hand out massive punitive damages against you.

Seriously though, guy.. You're just being a contrarian. That's no way to live life. It's a beautiful day outside -- how about you go and get some fresh air..? x]

You need a permit now to whip out your camera? I'm the contrarian yet what you state is the opposite of reality.

You need a permit now to whip out your camera? I'm the contrarian yet what you state is the opposite of reality.
How are you not grasping that camera's are f ing lame. What's wrong with you youngsters that you have to have a phone permanently attached to your little fingers. How many times did you change your Fwit status?

How are you not grasping that camera's are f ing lame. What's wrong with you youngsters that you have to have a phone permanently attached to your little fingers. How many times did you change your Fwit status?

There's more assumptions in your few sentence than in a texas steakhouse. In addition to it being off topic of course.

More than anything, recording a live show is just rude. It's rude to your friends that came with you, and it's rude to everyone around you. It's sad that a venue has to ban cellphone use just to encourage basic human decency, but if that's the only way.. so be it.

Take it from me, a 5'8" avid concert goer who is already doomed to miss much of the show struggling to see over 6.5' skinheads. Add in dozens of *****s waving their phones through the air, and I don't get to see a da-mn thing (unless I try to watch it on their tiny screens).

And what's the point..? I used to take those videos myself, until I realizing a grainy, shaky, low res video with blown out audio is no way to remember a great show -- especially when you missed the entire thing trying to film it.

Just don't bother.. Nobody wants to see your crappy vids. I doubt even you do. Just take a pic so you can brag about how close you wear, and pick up a dvd at the end of the tour..

I so totally agree your post is here again

Back