TechSpot

Verizon website glitch potentially exposed texting data of any phone number

By Shawn Knight
Oct 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A recent report from security researcher Prvsec suggests a simple URL hack may have exposed the texting data of tens of millions of Verizon customers. The vulnerability was fixed last month after the security researcher privately disclosed it to the...

Read more

2. insect

insect TS Booster Posts: 221   +62

... To their knowledge. I suspect anyone to that point could have downloaded the data without Verizon's knowledge. A bot run on the site could have downloaded everyone's info in a matter of days (or less) just by running from 000-000-0000 through 999-999-9999.

From there, it's just a matter of parsing the CSV data (which wouldn't be too difficult given the standard template Verizon uses for everyone), data-basing it, and searching it.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

I don't believe it's as simple as "000-000-0000". All Verizon's billing info contains 2 additional sets of numbers, adding "-000-00X" as a suffix.

Although who knows if the 2 data streams require all characters. The billing stream does, I simply don't know about the mobile.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.