Verizon's 'Can you hear me now?' guy jumps ship, joins Sprint

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The name Paul Marcarelli probably doesn’t ring any bells but you’d almost certainly recognize his face, or at the very least, his voice. He’s the actor that Verizon Wireless used in its “Can you hear me now?” advertising campaign for nearly a decade.

Marcarelli starred in commercials for the nation’s largest wireless provider until 2010 and briefly returned in February 2011 to promote the iPhone 4. He recently picked up another wireless advertising gig although not with his previous employer.

Sprint, currently in last place among the big four wireless providers in the US, has signed Marcarelli as the new face of its brand. Rather than use him to blatantly bash Verizon or others, Sprint is taking a classier approach – at least, in its first commercial spot.

In the new ad which aired during game two of the NBA finals, Marcarelli introduces himself as the guy that used to ask “if you could hear me now” with Verizon. It’s 2016, he says, and every network is great. He carries on about how Sprint’s reliability is now within one percent of Verizon’s and how his new employer is up to 50 percent cheaper than the competition.

While this ad may not be all that distasteful, one can’t say the same about an ad Sprint put out in April in which it described T-Mobile as “ghetto.” Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure quickly apologized on Twitter and removed the ad from rotation.

Permalink to story.

All this phone company fighting is funny. Everyone knows TMobile is the best.

I agree it's funny... Verizon makes an add with colored balls to show theirs are the biggest (no accident I'm sure) - US Cellular makes an ad showing how silly colored balls are.

Verizon says the have the most coverage - AT&T says 'yeah but we have the most LTE coverage'

TMobile says -Free streaming , free international data, no contracts. Sprint cuts contracts in half with a chainsaw (why?)

it goes on an on. but we shouldn't complain - all this competition makes everything cheaper for us.

I'd love to switch to T-Mobile if my reception didn't drop off the face of the earth when I hit city limits.

As much as I am on the fence with my current service provider, AT&T - I can personally attest that I do have service (LTE to be specific) in areas where Verizon is lucky to have 3g, Sprint is lucky to have service at all, and T-Mo isn't even in the picture.

PFFT. sprint being the most reliable, the same company that cant keep proper signal next to their own headquarters?

I'm amazed their commercials (which broadcast they have better reception and higher speed then verizon and t mobile, both of which are total BS) are even allowed on the air.

I've switched to Google Fi. I get Wifi, Sprint, and T-Mobile networks (whatever has strongest signal at my location). Never not had a signal, never dropped a call.

Also cheapest (after up-front cost of the Nexus phone). I only pay for the data I use and free everything else. $20/line (and I pay using Credit Card, so I get points - so really < $20/line). I'm at work/home on Wifi about 98% of my time - My data use is about 100 mbs a month for the e-mails while I'm out or directions someplace. My average bill with fees and taxes has been ~$25 a month.

None of these major carriers will beat that for a long time to come.

I gave up on the overpriced contract carrier crap years ago. But I still use At&t towers on Straight Talk. 49 bucks a month. I never go over on data either. AT&T might have a 50 buck plan, but by the time you take on this "fee" and that "fee" its in the 60,70,80 dollars or more per month.

Let's try and keep it real here, please!
Marcarelli is a paid actor. He didn't 'jump ship', he's just acting in an ad for someone who pays him. Just like he would do for anybody else.

I've checked and checked. T-Mobile is the cheapest for the best signal. Lately, they've also been working to make the signal stronger so I'm happy. I now consistently have full signal even in most buildings. When I first signed up I usually only had 2-3 bars. I've heard Sprint is last in the race due to bad signal strengths. Keep in mind commercials can't lie so this guy says "within 1% of Verizon's reliability", which can be interpreted many ways and doesn't necessarily mean signal strength.

I've switched to Google Fi. I get Wifi, Sprint, and T-Mobile networks (whatever has strongest signal at my location). Never not had a signal, never dropped a call.

Also cheapest (after up-front cost of the Nexus phone). I only pay for the data I use and free everything else. $20/line (and I pay using Credit Card, so I get points - so really < $20/line). I'm at work/home on Wifi about 98% of my time - My data use is about 100 mbs a month for the e-mails while I'm out or directions someplace. My average bill with fees and taxes has been ~$25 a month.

None of these major carriers will beat that for a long time to come.
They just added US Cellular as well. I use Project Fi too.

Back