TechSpot

Very HOT Radeon 9800.

By vegasgmc
Jul 18, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it normal for the whole card to be hot? I even have a case fan blowing directly on it. This is the card Im returning to Powercolor because of artifacting. I had a 9500 that ran hot but not like this one. My 8500 didnt get hot even when I OC'd it.

2. Raiders

Raiders TS Rookie Posts: 118

have you had the card long? if so, try to re-apply thermal compound to the GPU & heat sink & kleen the fan.
    if it's brand new, its your chioce to either check out the amount of compound on the GPU, or send it back .
    in my travels i have found that the amount of Thermal compound applied by the Factory is barely enough.
    To answer your question,, all or 98% of the heat should be in the heatsink itself. If the "card" is hot,,, heat transfer is in question.

3. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 467

What brand and wattage is your power supply?

A inadaquate power supply could cause problems. My friend got artifacting on his 9800 Pro because his PSU was dipping to 2.8 on the +3.3v rail. Also, make sure to reconnect your power connectors because heat can cause things to expand and make the connections loose.

4. Raiders

Raiders TS Rookie Posts: 118

Good Point Brown,, i didnt think of that

5. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,763

I never checked the GPU heatsink. Im sending the card back today for an exchange.
    I have a 365W Enermax PS. My system temp has dropped 6* since I put my old 8500 back in.

6. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 467

I think these 9800 pros really do get hot. The stock cooling really sucks (especially during summer time). I would upgrade the cooling if it was out of warranty.

7. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,763

The HSF is HUGE and still seems to suck. Im going to order a new cooler as soon as the replacement card gets here.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.