PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe
RAM: 2GB (512MB 400mhz X4)
Graphics: BFG Geforce 7800GT
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Im not having any problems with overheating or such, all hardware
is running under 40C, some under 30C besides my graphics card, and
it sits between 37C and 45C usually
Anyway, thats probly completly unrelated to the problem, but just thought i should point it out incase this somehow sounds like an overheating issue

I decided to put a fairly new internal 3.1/2" card reader in my comp, so i could put music onto my 512mb memory stick pro duo. Made it alot easier than transfering files to my other computer which also has a card reader.
Anyway, i was putting music onto my memory stick pro duo so i could play it on my PS3, then i was about to play a game on my comp when i realised installing the card reader somehow made my DVD drive think its a floppy drive, so now it wont read DVD's, CD's or any other type of disc it would normally read =\ I went and found some drivers on HP's completly useless site.
installed them thinking that would fix the problem, but still it was detected as a floppy disk drive.. I decided to turn my computer off and make sure all of the wires were tightly in place, but all the wires were already firmly in place.
So, i opened the Device Manager and disabled the Floppy Disk Drive and the Controller, But it still couldent read any discs, so then i uninstalled the floppy disk drive and controller, searched for hardware changes, and it still only found the floppy disk drive and controller (I just wanted to note that i have no floppy disk drive on this computer), So now im just completly out of idea's.. It cant be caused by a virus or spyware considering it only happened after installing the card reader.. and yes i have unplugged the card reader (after shutting down and unplugging my comp) to see if it was causing the problem, but still the floppy disk drive appeared instead of my HP DVD740 drive..

Any help at all would be great.
-Snow

DVD740 problem

I have the same motherboard and use the same DVD writer (dvd740). I didn't have any problem adding a media reader (the one I added included a floppy drive). I did have a similar problem to the one you're having though.
My Windows installation is on a RAID 0, and a little while ago I added a RAID 1 setup for my data. After loading Windows, it detected an extra floppy drive. I'm not sure if it didn't find any of my other drives, I wasn't checking that. However, updating (or re-flashing if already updated) the bios seemed to fix the problem. Also make sure you have the latest chipset drivers (should be nforce4 I believe).
Although it's a good board, it does seem to have really strange issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back