Via 4 in 1 comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooHellfire

Hey all, thought since the new 4.39 betas just came out, I'd do a 3dmark benchmark after installing them. Prior to the install I got 7395, after install, I got 7182. Now, I know, that's only a 200 point drop, but you would think with 'newer' drivers the numbers would go up, not down. Again, these are betas, so maybe something will get fixed. If anyone else has installed these, post your scores here, maybe it's a trend, or maybe it's just me.

System Specs:
ASUS A7V Motherboard
AMD 1100MHz (OC'd to 1200)(200 bus)
PNY Verto Geforce 4 4400
512 MB PC133 RAM
SB Live Value
and so on and so forth....

I wouldn't consider 3DMark a good program for comparing system performance after a chipset related change, IMHO 3DMark does well when it comes to videocards but that's about it.

BTW, I have no idea what VIA chipset you are using however I will give you an example, I'm running on a KT133A mobo and I'm still using 4.34 drivers, when I tried .37s for example, my system performance would decrease considerably and the reason seems to be that VIA optimizes their drivers for latest chipsets only, or something like that.

Originally posted by VoodooHellfire
Hey all, thought since the new 4.39 betas just came out, I'd do a 3dmark benchmark after installing them. Prior to the install I got 7395, after install, I got 7182. Now, I know, that's only a 200 point drop, but you would think with 'newer' drivers the numbers would go up, not down. Again, these are betas, so maybe something will get fixed. If anyone else has installed these, post your scores here, maybe it's a trend, or maybe it's just me.

System Specs:
ASUS A7V Motherboard
AMD 1100MHz (OC'd to 1200)(200 bus)
PNY Verto Geforce 4 4400
512 MB PC133 RAM
SB Live Value
and so on and so forth....

The ASUS A7V uses the KT133 chipset in which case I don't think Via is really optimising newer drivers for these cards. As for your 3dmark score, they seem to be pretty low. I'm not talking about the drop, just your scores in general. They seem to be in the GF3 range ( at 1024*768 that is ). At what resolution do you get those scores ?

Hey Did - those scores look okay to me - 3D Mark 2K1 is fairly CPU intensive as well - I took my G4 and stuck it in my dual 733@810 and it got such a low score I will not mention it here. I took the card out and stuck in in my athlon machine and scored over 10,000 - so I agree with Voodoo's score.

LNCPapa

Re: Re: Via 4 in 1 comparison

Originally posted by Didou
As for your 3dmark score, they seem to be pretty low. I'm not talking about the drop, just your scores in general. They seem to be in the GF3 range ( at 1024*768 that is ). At what resolution do you get those scores ?

"AMD 1100MHz (OC'd to 1200)(200 bus)"
That's the reason for the low scores....

We have discussed this with Tim in a previous thread regarding his ti4400 but he would have to replace the motherboard to get a faster processor into his machine and thats wasn't an option he was currently considering... ;)

I remember on the old forums someone said he actually succeeded in getting his KT133 motherboard to run on a 133 FSB.

If I remember well he had to do a little modding on the board : get a bigger heatsink fan on the northbridge & put some better compound. He also had to mess around with some voltage regulators so the northbridge could get a little more juice.

I used to have an ASUS A7V (KT133) & in the manual it was stated that setting the FSB on 133 would result in PCI running @33.3 & AGP @ 66 so I always wondered why I couldn't get it to 133.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back