VIA intros palm-sized desktop PC, Artigo A1100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Continuing its trend of creating itty-bitty computer parts, VIA has launched a new "DIY" nettop. The company describes its Artigo A1100 as a "sub-liter DIY PC kit for enthusiasts," which measures a mere 5.7 x 3.9 x 2 inches and weighs only 1.32lbs out of the box.

Despite its palm-sized package, the system is fully capable of handling the "most demanding HD video formats." Under the hood is a Pico-ITX board, a 1.2GHz VIA Nano processor along with a VIA VX855 media processor. External I/O includes HDMI, VGA, Gigabit Ethernet, five USB ports, three audio jacks, and optional 802.11b/g and SD card reader modules.

The Artigo A1100 is able to run operating systems such as Windows 7, Vista, and XP, as well as various Linux distros. It's available right now through VIA's online store (currently down) for $243. Note, however, that the system ships sans RAM and storage. There's room for one DDR2 module and a single 2.5-inch drive.

Permalink to story.

Amazingly underpowered unit... Every component in this thing has a more current much faster version, guess they just needed to clean out their old stock to make room for their newer items?

Well, at least it's relatively cheap... Although I just built a dual core AMD computer for the living room, and if you subtracted the drive and RAM it was under $300... So comparatively, maybe not so cheap. But hey, it's tiny and cute, has that going for it :)

Quad-core might be overkill but for years building HTPC since 2003 and today with the 4x-cpu makes a huge differences to manage 5x extenders under SageTV thus output video is HD 1080p plus recording at the same time. This device would be more ideal for a Kitchen, along with the Lenvo Mini wireless keyboard and roller ball mouse. They could had dual core CPU in this unit why oh why do these keep pushing low power CPUs. This should cost $99 bucks if they're going to push this CPU. I won't buy it. ACER has one for $199 then the CPU is only 1.6GHz not dual. If you want dual you have to pay more.

add a 24" monitor and it's still cheaper and better capable than an iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back