Video artifacts and errors with Radeon HD 6800

Hello,

for some time now (been a few months now, didn't really notice it at first) I've been experiencing weird horizontal artifacts in video playback. They are computer-based, as I can show you by pasting a screenshot:
upload_2014-1-2_15-17-54.png

They move and jitter during playback. I also notice these artifacts even as I type to you now: whenever I type I see the artifacts blinking on and off (and they might stay on / off). I tried updating all my codecs and my GFX driver, but that caused more problems, as now a game I tried to play (Orcs must Die 2) had a weird horizontal crossbar going up the menu screen, and other such weird behaviour. This was not present in my former drivers, so now I'm thinking of a rollback or alternative drivers (Omega?)

Might be something to do with my ancient, overheated and now dusty with age, CPU, that's probably suffered from overclocking over the years (E6400), but it also might be my relatively old GPU. However, I didn't have these problems during the first half of last year, that much I know.

I'm running Win 7 64 bit with 8 gb of ram.

Any advice beyond finally going ahead and changing the MB, CPU and VGA?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back