Video/Audio Codecs

By URANium238
Apr 6, 2006
  1. Ok, so I had problems with codec packs and such, so I searched here and found that "they are evil". So my question would be: how to get rid of the stuff installed right now and which codecs and where should I get.
  2. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

Codec packs are indeed evil.

Firstly, ignore DivX completely. Use the latest sable binary of XviD instead...

You can get away with not installing Real Player (if you hate it as much as I do) by using Real Alternative...

The same goes for quicktime and quicktime alternative...,
    though it's worth knowing that you CAN get Quicktime WITHOUT itunes...

There are obviously other video codecs, but these are really the ones that are used mainly. In terms of audio, well I'm not much on audio codecs. I tend to just download what I need as and when I need it, which at the moment means I have a codec for pretty much everything I come across

This might actually be quite a useful thread to be honest, especially if someone can add a free DVD codec to the mix, and some audio.
  3. URANium238

URANium238 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Ok, will uninstalling the packs be enough or will I have to do something manually?
  4. Spike

What packs do you have installed?
  5. URANium238

URANium238 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

K-lite mega codec pack
  6. Spike

urgh. Yes. uninstall it.
  7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

i found one but did not save link and or want to post as it also installs a link in the browser bar to ad site ,no doubt spyware
    free my you no what
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.