Video card fan doesn't spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Geforce FX 5600 256mb, don't know the manufacturer. The fan on the vid card doesn't spin at all while the machine is on, and pretty much crashes whenever i try to do anything 3d(overheats). The fan itself as in the blades is completely intact(but it won't spin), but I think I might have broken some connection when I got into my case the other day with some Q-tips trying to get rid of dust. That will teach me to scrimp on compressed air cans.

Anyways, anyone know how I can fix this problem, or do I need a new video card?

You may be able to get away with taking the fan off and putting a slot blower in the slot right below the Video card. I however would only suggest trying this if getting a new card is out of the question or you can't find a replacement fan for the Video card. If you can find out the manufacture of that card a lot of the time you can just get a replacement fan from there.

That is getting to be a pretty old and outdated card not if you have the funds I would maybe look to getting it replaced something like a FX6600 or something. Newer and will support more of the newer games an other 3d software for a few more years.

There are aftermarket cooler/heatsink kits.. if you do a web search on Arctic VGA Silencers, these are the best.

Unfortunately, unless you can get one for about $10 (some wholesaler sources sell them this cheaply), I'd say it's a better choice to just replace the videocard.

You can get a sizeable upgrade (if that 5600 is AGP and not PCI) for around $60 USD (such as the Sapphire 9600 Pro @ NewEgg).

Given how disposably priced low-end videocards have become, it's rarely worth repairing them.

If its just your fan either buy a after market heatsink and fan or do like i did with a old ti-4200. I took a old heatsink and fan from a cpu i had and rigged it up and i tell you what that ti-4200 was so overclockable it was amazing.
I took that card with a broke fan and turned it into a better card than it was brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back