TechSpot

Video card fan doesn't spin

By lfanswer
Apr 14, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Geforce FX 5600 256mb, don't know the manufacturer. The fan on the vid card doesn't spin at all while the machine is on, and pretty much crashes whenever i try to do anything 3d(overheats). The fan itself as in the blades is completely intact(but it won't spin), but I think I might have broken some connection when I got into my case the other day with some Q-tips trying to get rid of dust. That will teach me to scrimp on compressed air cans.

Anyways, anyone know how I can fix this problem, or do I need a new video card?
  2. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 484

You may be able to get away with taking the fan off and putting a slot blower in the slot right below the Video card. I however would only suggest trying this if getting a new card is out of the question or you can't find a replacement fan for the Video card. If you can find out the manufacture of that card a lot of the time you can just get a replacement fan from there.

That is getting to be a pretty old and outdated card not if you have the funds I would maybe look to getting it replaced something like a FX6600 or something. Newer and will support more of the newer games an other 3d software for a few more years.
  3. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

There are aftermarket cooler/heatsink kits.. if you do a web search on Arctic VGA Silencers, these are the best.

Unfortunately, unless you can get one for about $10 (some wholesaler sources sell them this cheaply), I'd say it's a better choice to just replace the videocard.

You can get a sizeable upgrade (if that 5600 is AGP and not PCI) for around $60 USD (such as the Sapphire 9600 Pro @ NewEgg).

Given how disposably priced low-end videocards have become, it's rarely worth repairing them.
  4. kerpunkin

kerpunkin TS Rookie Posts: 19

If its just your fan either buy a after market heatsink and fan or do like i did with a old ti-4200. I took a old heatsink and fan from a cpu i had and rigged it up and i tell you what that ti-4200 was so overclockable it was amazing.
    I took that card with a broke fan and turned it into a better card than it was brand new.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.