Video Card Fan Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new GeForce4 Ti4200 video card. I also have a Thermaltake Crystal Orb video Chipset Cooling Fan. I thought I could just replace the generic fan that came with the card, and use my Thermaltake.

My Problem is that I can't get the generic fan off the video card. I can unscrew the Fan, but the cirular heatsink won't budge. No Screws, No pins, nothing! I've applied pressure, twisted, and still nothing!

Are some of these fans/heatsinks glued to the chipset? Can anyone think of an easy way to remove this?

Help!

:( :(

Yes a lot of video cards have their heatsinks glued on. I've heard heat can soften the glue and make it easier to remove them. What brand of card do you have? The heatsink on it might do better than a orb.

Yes, either a benchmark round to get the card real hot (you might even disable the fan for a few minutes

Or, put it in the fridge (inside a plastric bag to prevent moisture)

should help if it's glued on...

Put it in an electrostatic bag and shove the puppy in a freezer. it should pop right off, and is safer than heating...

on my geforce 3 ti200 I just took a screwdriver and pryed it off, prolly not the smartest thing I have ever done but it worked

The freezer doesn't work??? I've never heard of any thermal glue that can hold up...

Putting a new cooler on it isn't a big deal unless you're overclocking...

Can you take the fan off and replace it with the Crystal Orb, and leave the heatsink on?

A wood butterknife can be qite useful...

You might need to use quite a bit of violence...

If this doesn't work a sharp razor will get it of, though it takes much more time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back