comp specs:
dell dimension 9100
windows media center 2005
intel pentium dual core 2.8 ghz
1 gig ram
160 mb storage
nvidia geforce 6800
sound blaster live! 24-bit

hello. i've been recently getting the dreaded blue screen of death with the main problem being the file nv4_mini.sys.

It started after playing fear combat online (great game btw), the whole screen froze and pixelated. it always worked fine before, so i have no idea what triggered this problem. i restarted to find out that everything had been pixelated, slower, and my monitor was constantly blinking. leaving the computer on like this would eventually lead to the BSOD with the problem stating nv4_mini.sys.

anyway, i wiped my harddrive, installed all new drivers, same problem. wiped harddrive again, installed some older drivers, same problem. looked on several other forums addressing the same problem and it seems that a lot of other people have the same problem, with slight variations. the common factor having an nvidia graphics card. a lot of the solutions state that the drivers are corrupt, damaged, whatever. i've tried. and i've come to the conclusion that its my video card (i think). but, i'm really not sure, and although i'm pretty good with computers, i tend to get frustrated with trouble shooting. thus, i know nothing about it. everything else seems to be fine except for the graphics.

this problem has been annoying me to death the past week! i can't do anything that i could do before. would anyone like to make suggestions on how i should go about solving this problem? keep in mind that i'm not very advanced with the troubleshooting department. i do know how to install new components into my system though. its just when it comes to the BIOS and the POST and the registry and all the replacing and testing that confuses me. anyway, if this is indeed my graphics card, would somebody like to recommend another one for me? something similar to whatever i have is fine, nothing too fancy. i'm planning on getting a nice laptop for college. still need this computer to work for the rest of the family though.

thinking i might replace the 6800 with this one if it should be a damaged video card... good or not good?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2231768&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

thanks in advance for all the help and feedback.

thanks for your feedback, i appreciate it. one question. i went to the driver cleaner pro website. are you talking about the $9.99 download? If it'll help me, i'll gladly buy it =]

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back