Video card or CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kens8

I'm just thinking ahead on this one:

Toward the end of the year I will have about $350 - $400 to spend on an upgrade. Should I invest in a processor upgrade, or a video card upgrade? Here's what I have:

evga 6600 LE pci-e
Athlon 64 3000+

Keep in mind that prices will drop on both by the end of the year.

Another note: I prefer NVIDIA because I run Linux for most of my computing needs and ATI's Linux support sucks. I only use Windows for gaming.

by then end of the year the Pentium D's will be about $200 and the Athlon X60's will be about $500. New video cards are due out early this year too. Depend on what you do mostly...if you're a gamer, then get a video card, if not then get a CPU, however you might be able to purchase both video card and CPU near the end of this year.

mossimoboy said:
How much ram do you have?

1 gb

LipsOfVenom said:
by then end of the year the Pentium D's will be about $200 and the Athlon X60's will be about $500. New video cards are due out early this year too. Depend on what you do mostly...if you're a gamer, then get a video card, if not then get a CPU, however you might be able to purchase both video card and CPU near the end of this year.

Like I said, I have an Athlon 64 3000+, socket 939. I'm not looking to get a new mobo or anything like that, so a Pentium D or Athlon X60 is out of the question. I'm not a "hardcore gamer," but I do play games. I'm playing Call of Duty 2 right now and looking forward to Oblivion. I use Linux as my main operating system, and do many CPU-intensive tasks with it.

I have an Athlon 64 3000+, socket 939. I'm not looking to get a new mobo or anything like that, so a Pentium D or Athlon X60 is out of the question.

If your motherboard is socket 939, then you can use the FX60. It'll slide in there like butter.

(Of course confirm this with your motherboard maker's website cpu compatibility list first.)

Anyways, as your target date is the end of this year, my brain is unable to give you any suggestions. In computer life, 1 year is like 10 years. Who knows where I will be in 10 years?

The athlon 3000+ is not to bad and by the end of the year you will be able to pick up the truly awsome ATI RADEON X1800 XT 512mb graphics card for around
$400.

DonNagual said:
If your motherboard is socket 939, then you can use the FX60. It'll slide in there like butter.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the new socket AMD's comming out with to accomodate DDR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back