Video card problem...black screen on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom123

I just got a new radeon 9600 xt. My computer and motherboard meet the requirements of it. I insteaded it correctly into my computer and when i switched it on the screen was black. There wasnt any beepin noises and the monitor light was on.I checked the brightness and that was ok too Please help me :suspiciou

We'll get it working, hang in there ;)

Couple questions:

1. What was your OLD video card? Or were you using integrated graphics?
2. Did you UNINSTALL the old drivers before installing the new?
3. Did you plug in the 4pin molex power connector to your video card?
4. Do you have the monitor plugged into the card, and NOT the integrated graphics port?

Probably a good idea to give us your computer specs as well.

My old video card was a radeon 9000 (crap i know :) )

Yes i uninstalled the drivers but couldnt install the new ones as it wont go on windows.

Yes i have the power connecter in the right place. Im not sure bout the 4pin molex power connector. I had some extra wires in the box and im not sure wat to do with them.

I have a fujitus siemens with 2.6 ghz and 256 ram (gettin 1gb soon)
My motherboard supports AGP4x which u need for this card.

What I would do:

1. Try starting your computer up again with your OLD card, just to double check that you haven't knocked anything loose. This'll confirm that the ONLY problem is your new card.

2. You say you have the power connector in the right place, then say you are not sure about the 4pin molex connector. This confused me a bit, but that's ok. I get confused easily ;)

This is not the 9600XT but the power connection is the same place/wires.
00032048.jpg

What is your motherboard by the way, can you give us a link to it's homepage?
Also, what make/model is your power supply?

HOLD THE PHONE....

The 9600xt doesn't need that power cord I am going on and on about. That is not your problem.

But can you give us the info on your motherboard and PSU please.

Take a look inside your case, and look at the power supply unit itself. There should be a sticker on it with the specs. We need to know how many watts, and who made it.

By the way, your computer isn't overclocked is it?

I am just about to step out the door for a bit and will check in later.

In the meantime, go to your motherboard's homepage and install the latest chipset drivers. There may be some updates you are missing for newer AGP cards.

The bios may need updating as well, but leave that for last.

Alright. Go ahead and update your chipset drivers (from the motherboard's homepage).

250 watt delta... it is possible that this is your problem right here. It may not be enough to handle your newer card...

Same as video card drivers actually. You download the .exe file (sometimes it'll be zipped) from the motherboard maker's homepage, then just run the .exe file. It installed the drivers for your automatically, nice and easy.

I got the chipset updated thx alot for ur help....now hopefully the video card will work. Im tryin it now :eek:

Grrrrrrr!

what chipset driver did you install? (Just to confirm).

Next, I would go directly to SiS's site and get the chipset's AGP driver from there to see if that fixes you up:

http://www.sis.com/download/ Go to "chipset drivers" then "agp"

Hang in there, we'll figure this out eventually.

Im gonna wait to tomorrow to install the update i have homework to do. Thx for ur help ill write back and tell u the results.

That's what the problem is!

Your computer knows you have homework and is just messing with us. Once your homework is done, it'll all work no problem. I know it.

Lol lets hope so. This is a good test for u anyway :)

And if u do help me to get it work... ill have to hunt u down and shake ur hand :angel:

Your next best bet is that power supply, I think.

Also, some AGP cards simply don't work with some motherboards. This is particularly true with VIA boards (especially ones that are older).

Does your board support "AGP driving value" in the BIOS? VIA included this option because they never quite figured out how to correctly implement AGP automatically.. i think. :p If you do have this option, this might be the only shot you have. You'll need to contact your video card manufacturer and go through a few levels of bureaucracy to find the answer. The correct driving value will be a hexidecimal value.

Providing this is the the issue and you sucessfully get the correct information, you'll need to put your old graphics card in.. Add the value. Shut off the computer, insert your new card and cross your fingers.

But by the time you do all of this and after all the suspense and guess work - You're better off returning that card and getting a different model.

Hmm that seems to hard for me :grinthumb

Can u give me any links to gettin cheap power supplies that will work?

Thx

You can use this calculator to check how many watts you'll need:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

But I think this power supply would probably do the trick on your system. Great price for 18amps on the 12v rail. Sorry for the US based link. I don't know what the good UK sites are.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103486

Don't know if the new PSU will fix your problem or not, but there is a chance it might.

If I were you, I'd probably do a fresh install of windows, and reload all my drivers from scratch just to see if I could get that card working. It could be as simple as a driver issue...

It could also be a faulty card.
It could also be as stated above, that mobo is simply not compatible with this particular card.

Sorry mate! Was hoping to have you up and running by now. I have failed you, and release you from the bonds of owing me a beer. ;)

I have good news (sorta) the video card is faulty cause i tested it on another pc. Lets hope it will work when i get it fixed. Thx for ur help :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back